Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer turns on for half a second and then turns off

• Please log in to reply

yablo2004

yablo2004

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is what happened when I went to turn on my computer this morning. I turn the power button on the front on and all fans begin to turn(power supply fan, case fan, cpu fan, and video card fan) and dont even make it a full rotation before turning off completely. Basically they all just kind of spin a quarter of the way and stop. So what seems to be happening is the computer starts up and something shorts out cutting the power immediately. Clicking the power button again after this does nothing until I flip the switch on the back of the power supply off and back on. Hit the power button on the front again and the same thing listed above happens.
Computer Specs:
400 Watt Power Supply
AMD Dual Core 4800+
3 gigs memory
Geforce 8800 GT

Some problems I have had since building this computer is that sometimes my video would get very slow after a while and then image becomes distorted (frames go down considerably and eventually random shapes appear all over the screen and I have to restart the computer to continue playing). Kind of odd when my video card is top of the line(at least when I bought it for 300 dollars). Im thinking that a 400 watt power supply maybe was not high enough for this machine and that maybe that has [bleep] the bed. I really hope its a cheap fix like that and not a more serious hardware issue such as the motherboard. I have made sure everything is seated on the board properly and all connectors are plugged in securely and I am really having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with it and what probably needs replacing.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, it sounds like your power supply is not up to the task. When a Athlon computer i had started acting kinda weird with video problems i downloaded Speedfan and found the 12 volt line was only getting 11.73 volts. I then bought a rather noisy Thermaltake 500 watt PS which gave me 12.3 volts and cured the problems with the computer. The computer would just turn off when i played a war game for too long.

SRX660

yablo2004

yablo2004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I took everything out of the case and currently only have the motherboard with the power supply connected to it. I have the same problem happen. Here is a video to better illustrate what happens when i try to power it on.
http://www.yablo420....mputerissue.wmv

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try a new power supply. Trying the board with the old power supply out of the case solves nothing if it is an issue with that PSU.