Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista windows explorer cannot run

• Please log in to reply

beginnner

beginnner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi everybody!

i would like to ask if somebody could provide me solution to my vista problem. after logging in i face an error (explorer.exe application error related to (0xc0000142)). this error prevents to display all the contents usually seen in the desktop. even the start button.

it started when i changed some dll and ocx files in the system32. i didnt expect it to affect my current vista config. how do i restore the old system32 files?

additional info to the error

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b091
Fault Module Name: SHUNIMPL.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000142
Exception Offset: 00008fc7
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9d13
Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3: 9d13
Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 348876588

Thanks..

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

You shouldn't be surprised if Windows gets 'broken' after you've been messing about with ocx and dll files. These are essential system files and should be left alone unless you know what you're doing and are sure that a particular file is not needed by anything.

If you can run the Vista 'System File Checker', do so. Explained here: http://www.tech-reci...em_file_checker

Failing that you'll have to use the PC Manufacturer's Restore Discs if any were supplied.