Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

did my tcp/ip get hijacked or is the road to the www just a really lon

• Please log in to reply

brainbone

brainbone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had/still have a TCP/IP issue, am unable to get online (on my best/newest computer...built by FRYE's, they installed Windows XP SP2, gave me the disc) and have been reading posts to help. I downloaded winsockxpfix and am still unable to repair...will get back to that later though since in doing these 'things' to my computer I have discovered this issue and can find no one else with this problem...so, am writing.... I discovered that I have a "Mr. Jim" folder that was created on my computer (C:\Documents and Settings\Mr. Jim... this folder mimics/mirrors...is identical to... my "Graphics" (set up by me when I got the computer) folder that shows up in "User Accounts" while "Mr. Jim is only in aformention location. I had seen it and thought it was set up when I had the computer built and noticed it again when doing 'run' commands since instead of the C:\Documents and Settings\Admin ...there is C:\Documents and Settings\Mr. Jim in my little black box.
I did a full scan with my Norton and it picked up 2 cookies......interesting, they happen to be named ("Mr. [email protected]") If I just try to delete the folder, system says: "Mr. Jim is a windows system folder and is required for windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed." When trying to repair my TCP/IP I reloaded some of the xp sp2 network stuff from my Windows disk...upon reboot I got a Windows login default window with 'Mr. Jim' as the username and there is no password required.......here is what happens now:

In C:\ there are folders: Mr. Jim All Users Administrator

If I go in as Mr. Jim or Administrator (no pw required) and change the way you log on through control panel/user accts... to log on or off to where it uses the 'welcome screen' There is where you find the account "Graphics" folder that I have always used... and a 'turned off "Guest" folder.

My big issue is getting the system corrected and online... I, as all the "I"s" say... would rather not have to start from scratch and reload all the software......etc...etc...etc HELP ME, PLEASE!

Advertisements