Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection drops out randomly - Fibre Optic connection (no modem)

• Please log in to reply

James Smith 2

James Smith 2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all.

I am a first time poster here, and I am not very computer savvy so please excuse me if I dont list all the info you need to help me.

I am using XP Pro SP2 and IE version 7.0.5730.11. My problem is that randomly my connection just drops out. I have read a lot of the posts here, and it seems that this is not an uncommon problem, but all I have read refers to modems and I dont have a modem - my connection is a fibre optic cable that I connect directly to with an ethernet cable via a wall socket in my office.

When the connection drops out the icon (the one that looks like a double screen) stays in the tray, and when I click on it indicates that I am connected, but I am not. I have to disconnect and try to reconnect again, but often that will not happen. So I have a choice of rebooting the PC (which mostly but not always allows me to reconnect OR I often can (again not always) reconnect after I remove the ethernet cable from the wall socket, and after a few seconds plug it back in again. If both these options fail, I simply shut down the PC and leave it for an hour or so and try again, and again until I get connected.

I have unchecked the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box on the NIC properties/Power management tab- I did this after reding many posts suggesting that, but it has not helped.

I have contacted my ISP, who have had me delete the connection and set up a new one (many many times) turn off the antivirus (AVG) and also turn of the firewall (Windows) but I still have the problem.

Can anyone help please? I hope this is enough information to work on - please let me know if there is more required.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Before investigating your PC or it's software as a possible source of the problem, you need to get the fibre-optic supply point checked out, as well as the cable you plug into it. Until they both get a clean bill of health there's little point in looking elsewhere.

James Smith 2

James Smith 2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks pip22 for your reply.

I have had the fibre optic cabling checked out - the telco assures me that it is fine - and the ethernet cable is a new one.

Sorry, I should have told you that earlier.