Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Asus K8V SE Deluxe, SATA harddrives and XP.

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I need help getting XP Professional installed on my dads computer.

I'm not sure on most of it's specs, but I know what should be relevant to this problem.

Motherboard - Asus K8V SE Deluxe
HDD - 200gb Seagate Barracuda SATA

The motherboard confuses me. It has 4 SATA ports on in. Two are labeled as "Sata1" and "Sata2", the other two (Located in a different area of the board) are labeled as "Pri_Sata" and "Sec_Sata". I'm not really sure what's going on here. Also, when it's starting up, depending on whether the HDD is plugged into the Numbered SATA, or the pri/sec SATA, it gives different messages. Numbered it says something about Fastrak and the BIOS not being installed. Pri/Sec is comes up with some 'stripe' stuff and if I press ctrl+f to get into some menu, it's talking about Arrays.

Sorry I can't get exact messages - My dad is on his PC right now (I have Windows 98SE running on it).

I thought it might be some sort of driver problem, so I searched the asus site for the board, downloaded the RAID controller driver thing, and then used a program called nlite to make a copy of my XP install cd with the drivers on it (no floppy disk to just use the 'f6' option when installing). When I done this, I got an error about a corrupted file.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

Edit: Oh, and if it matters - My setup CD doesn't have any Service Packs. I just integrated SP2 onto a new install CD though, so I have an XP Professional SP2 setup disc now.

Edited by Seltox, 25 March 2008 - 05:04 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To find out about the connections download Asus manual for your motherboard from this link.

Regarding the sp2 integration: This process doesn't succeed very often. Try to use the original CD (without service packs). Download sp2, save the file, burn it to a CD and use it for the installation of sp2. Save the disk for future use.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
The SP2 integration worked. I reinstalled the operating system on my computer last night, and my laptop. So That's all sweet.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the CD's or anything that came with this motherboard. It was given to my parents from a friend of theirs, and they didn't recieve anything but the computer itself.

I'll check out that manual and see how everything goes.