Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop cooling pad placement?

• Please log in to reply

jtg22

jtg22

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
This is an odd situation. I am trying to figure out the best way to use my cooling pad with my new laptop.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220255 = laptop

and

http://www.mic-innov...p...sories&sub= = cooling pad

The laptop base is a square, and the cooling pad, when fully extended, is a rectangle with the two fans in the middle. The long sides of the cooling fan are slightly shorter than any side of the laptop; the short sides of the cooling pad are noticeably shorter than the laptop's sides. As a result, the cooling pad may only be in one of two possible positions if the laptop is to remain stable while sitting on it.

Here's the problem: I'm not sure how effective this really is for cooling the laptop. The hard drive section of this laptop is located right in the center of the machine, so it is possible for the cooling pad to be positioned so that the hard drive is now in between the fans. This is my current setup. Unfortunately, no positioning of the cooling pad is possible that would cool the entire bottom of the laptop. I do not know where the motherboard (and thus the video card) are located, but I assume the hard drive area.

I guess my questions are these: Is it better to try and cool the entire surface area of a laptop's underside or simply critical stuff (hard drive area in my case). Also, should I consider trying to find a larger cooling pad or should my current one be ok?

I apologize for this being such a weird (and somewhat poorly worded thread). I also apologize for not having actual measurements of the side lengths for either the laptop or the cooling fan.

thank you

Advertisements