Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Print server question

• Please log in to reply

bnwomeh

bnwomeh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have recently bought a USB Printer and need help with setting it up to be shared by 2 computers (desktop and Laptop). I have internet service from Road Runner and the Cable modem is connected directly to a NETGEAR wireless access point, from which an RJ cable feeds my desktop. The laptop receives the wireless signals via a NETGEAR card.

I understand I will need to purchase a Print Server. How do I connect this to my existing network so that my new printer can be shared by my 2 computers.

Thanks for your assistance.

Advertisements

ssalter

ssalter

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
can you set the printer to a set ip address? if so you can connect the printer to your hub and then set up both computers with a port that uses the ip address you specify for the printer. or simply set up one computer with the proper driver setup(software) and attach the printer to it and share it out and access it with the other computer. you will need to have both computers on the same workgroup and should have no problems. no need for a print server with only two computers.

:tazz: hope that helps.

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I agree with ssalter. You do not need a print server on any small network as long as you can all see each other in network places. You should just be able to use File and Printer Sharing to share the printer and then install it on the client machine via Add Printer.

Hope this is of some help.

BEN

garf12

garf12

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The only reason you would need a print server is if the printer was in a location where a computer is not near by and the printer does not have built in networking capabilities. Otherwise just hook the printer up to one of the computer and use printer sharing to print to that printer from the other computer.

bnwomeh

bnwomeh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, I just realized I'm in a deeper hole than I thought. I tried to set up the 2 computers in a workgroup using the Network Connection Wizard, which I ran in both computers. I followed instructions I read elsewhere on this forum. After setting this up with the same workgroup name (MSHOME) I went to Network Places to try and verify that the 2 computers can see each other.

With the laptop, when I try to view my workgroup computers I see only the laptop. With the desktop computer, when I click on 'view workgroup computers' I get the following error message:

"MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permission. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

Please note both computers are running Norton antivirus and Internet Security. Both are Windows XP Home (XP1 on laptop and XP2 on desktop). The firewall is Norton. (And please note my gateway is the router not the WAP as I had stated in the initial post. I got it mixed up)

Thanks for your help again.