Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Can I Recycle a Brother MFC-5100C?

• Please log in to reply

2Bits ShortOfABucket

2Bits ShortOfABucket

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 2-yr-old (or thereabouts) Brother MFC-5100C all-in-one that I want to find the
highest and best use for. It apparently needs new print heads, because it needs a
cleaning after every 10 or so copies. I have the software.

Brother says it is not in the refurbishing business, and cannot refer me to someone who
is. Does anyone know who is in that business, preferably in the Northern Virginia (metro
Washington DC) area, who can fix the machine and either donate it to a charity or sell
it to someone else (I've already bought a replacement)?

My other alternatives are (1) give it to Staples, along with $10, and be done with it;
(2) give it to the Salvation Army, and tell them it works just fine; (3) continue carrying
it around in my car, as a conversation piece; (4) take it to a junkyard; or (5) call
1-800-GotJunk.

Does anyone have a good solution? It's too big to be a doorstop, too fragile to be a
stepping stool, and (unlike my old desktops) too irregular to be a pedestal for a new
desktop. If I can't find a refurbisher, I'll come back and take a poll on all the
alternatives, including the ones I get here.

TIA

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Error 41 is a common problem with this printer, which is related to the print-heads.
Realistically in most scenarios buying new print heads is a no-good area because you can replace the entire unit and get a new warranty on everything for a small amount more.

Personally:

1) Staples will probably dump it, bearing in mind they'll make more money on an entire new unit.
2) The Salvation Army will be grateful but I think cleaning it every ten goes would kind of start to grate after a bit.
3) Keep it in the house/office, or dump it. I've never understood why people insist on driving cars holding tons of stuff that allow the vehicle to be dubbed skips on wheels.
4) Might be the best part if its beyond economic repair.
5) Can't comment.

If the unit is too big as a doorstop, take it to pieces and the bits inside will probably serve a few doors.