Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Power Down

• Please log in to reply

nicolaspop

nicolaspop

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Not sure if this is the right Forum but I Built this system about 8 months ago. Slight overclock on E6850 to 3825 MhZ. System has been rock stable on Air for the whole time (8 hours orthos, gaming etc). Tonight I logged into World of Warcraft and a patch downloaded which was expected (and should not be the cause of my problem). After 5 minutes of playing, the PC just shut off. I turned it on and it kept happening seemingly only while playing World of Warcraft (online video game). Tested other programs and all seemed fine. Then I ran another game which had never been a problem and the PC shut down again. My system is no longer orthos stable. Seems if I put any stress on the CPU (has also crashed now while on the internet and running an anti-trojan program in the background) it just shuts off. No bluescreen or anything. Seems virus free (ran AVG scan) but can't get through a complete a-squared scan now as I crash. I don't think it is software related. I updated my GPU drivers after the crashes but it didn't help. I do run a UPS system so I don't think it is an electric issue. My first thought was the power supply (OCZ Gamer Xtreme 650) but it doesn't seem hot and It is only 8 months old and should be plenty for my system. Please help. I know just about enough about computers to put together a gaming machine, Overclock a bit, lean out XP, update bois/drivers and install some benchmark, diagnostic software. That's about it and I am lost as to where to go from here. Please help!!!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Does it fix your stability issues if you remove your overclock? How much extra voltage are you feeding the Vcore? Do you have an aftermarket cooler?

Edited by Titan8990, 27 March 2008 - 12:01 PM.