Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two CD-ROM drives in device manager

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
One is SC5033W GCI281G SCSI CdRom Device, the other is a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H. I know the TSSTcorp is supposed to be there... but not the SCSI one. Uninstalling both and rebooting will get both to reappear. I even reseated the drive... still nothing.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I updated the firmware and flashed the BIOS. These two drives still show up. Also worthy of note is the fact that only the TSSTcorp drive shows up in Vista. Dell Support told me that the BIOS flash would get rid of that SCSI entry if it's not connected to the computer. but we know how trustworthy they are..... *sarcastic eye roll while pointing to sig*

Edited by The Admiral, 25 March 2008 - 11:19 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The SCSI driver usually comes around because some CD emulation software (such as Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, etc) is installed, these create virtual drives that Windows flags up as being SCSI CD units.