Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Complete Slowdown

• Please log in to reply

HEM

HEM

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computor has slowed to a snail pace at certain hours of the day. Mornings are very slow, parts of the afternoon, and parts of early evening, also. Certain hours, everything moves OK, then, BOOM! slowdown. I installed the latest Norton anti virus/spyware. This was a waste of money. It does nothing. It starts a ffull system scan, then stops at 5800 files. It stays there for days, while saying that is scanning. This time it is in the forth day of scanning 5861 files. My disc is only 1/4 full.
3/4 are still available. I have done reconcile, eliminated unneeded files, and system restore. No change.
HELP!!!

Advertisements

marc_randles

marc_randles

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Im having the same sort of problem aswell, hope someone can get back to us

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Defective hard drive I reckon.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Are you talking about your computer itself being slow or your internet connection being slow?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for marc_randles...please start your own thread...
because your problems may be similar does not mean the fix would be the same because of different hardware and software...

for HEM

I have done reconcile

what does this mean..
are you on dial up by chance..

Edited by happyrck, 27 March 2008 - 07:09 PM.

marc_randles

marc_randles

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Are you talking about your computer itself being slow or your internet connection being slow?

Both

HEM

HEM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I meant "defragment" not reconcile. Also I tried "system restore" for various dates, from last week, to last month. The computer says "cannot restore to date selected".

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
AGAIN...are you on dial up by chance..

restore points are linked so when one is bad they all are bad..
turn off restore...that will clear out the old bad ones...turn restore back on and create a new restore point...
because your anti virus may be comprnised...you may be infected.so do at least two online scans like
trend micro here...
and BitDefender Online Scanner here..

Edited by happyrck, 28 March 2008 - 06:15 AM.

marc_randles

marc_randles

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
No im not on dial up

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you say it happens

Mornings are very slow, parts of the afternoon, and parts of early evening, also

are you running any particular software as this happens or just before it happens...
are there times when it zips right along..

HEM

HEM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am on dial-up, and I am using NO software. The only software that I will use, is to install a new program, like Norton.

Edited by HEM, 28 March 2008 - 06:44 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to HEM

I am on dial-up

thats your problem...the bandwiDth is split between all the users and the busy times morning noonish and early evenings just means there are more people online at those times..it will help just a little if you go here and get the hosts file... the web pages will load faster because the ad servers are blocked..saving the time it takes to connect to them and display their ads...get the hosts.zip extract it at click on the batch icon..
THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL RESPOND TO YOUR QUESTIONS IN THIS THREAD...START YOUR OWN IN THE FUTURE

Edited by happyrck, 28 March 2008 - 11:17 AM.

HEM

HEM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear Happy; Just to let you know, I went to Trend Micro. It has been "preparing to scan the computer", for the last 15 hours. How long does this normally take? The little red buttons, on the bottom, keep scanning, and nothing else.

HEM

HEM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Complete slowdown.
I thought that this was my thread. It seems that Happyrik says that I am "Hijacking" his thread. Please forgive my for being stupid about this, I was just answering your questions. Not trying To "Hijack" anything. All that I wanted was help.
I am sorry that I don't fully understand your rules.
I will try another help site.
Thanks for everything
HEM

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm sorry... :) I thought this was marc_randles thread...

Just to let you know, I went to Trend Micro. It has been "preparing to scan the computer", for the last 15 hours. How long does this normally take?

should only take a few minutes

Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...