Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen O'Death even after reformat...hardware?

• Please log in to reply

lucy431

lucy431

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I have a laptop that's (supposed to be) always on, as it logs temperature and other data from the room it's kept in. It worked fine for many months with no problems, but for the past few weeks I've often found a blue screen error waiting for me in the morning, as it seems to crash at least once every 48 hours.

I reinstalled windows and formatted the hard drive, but this problem still happens: I can't leave it on for any length of time without getting a blue screen of death, which makes it useless for my data recording purposes. I guess could potentially be some faulty driver, but more likely it's a hardware issue (the laptop is 5 years old). I know much less about hardware than software, so I wonder if anyone can help me figure out which driver or piece of hardware is the problem...

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hardware issues in a laptop usually come about because of old age when the capacitors and what not start to wear out.
If a laptop develops a problem with the main board, then the laptop is beyond economic repair because it will be cheaper to replace it than repair it.

If you've wiped the machine, not installed any drivers and it still does the same thing, then a hardware error is all it can be.