Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASP.NET User Account

• Please log in to reply

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I rebooted my PC a short while ago and found that it didn't auto log me in. :)

When I checked the User Accounts in the Control Panel, there was a new account for ASP.NET.
Having done a Google search, it would appear to be something to do with Microsoft.Net Framework.

Blooming cheek installing that on my PC!! :)
It must have been in the update this morning.

Do I really need these .net framework things? :)
It doesn't feel very secure when this kind of thing can happen.

Also, can I restore the auto login or am I stuck with it now?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This account is created by dotnet framework 1.1.
Some programs need dotnet framework but it does no harm to have it anyway so any programs you do use that need it will find it.

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the response, Neil. :)

The thing which bugged me most was the removal of my auto logon.
However, I've managed to over come it by the following method...

Skip the Welcome Screen and Logon Automatically

If you wish for your system to automatically logon to a user instead of having to enter a password or select which user you would like the following information should help. This will also be able to restore your automatic logon if you lost it during the installation of the .Net Framework on your machine (ASP.NET Machine Account).

wel1.jpg

Firstly start by opening your run box and enter control userpasswords2

wel12.jpg

When the user accounts window opens uncheck the box which states 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' and apply the setting. You will be requested for the username and password of the account you wish to automatically logon as for following reboots of your system.

If at a later stage you want a password back on your system, follow the same steps but recheck the box. In order to open user accounts you must be using an Administrator level account

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That works but if you should add more users at a later stage, do remember what you've done :)

Remember for next time though, you can avoid the log-in issue by installing dotnet framework 1.1 manually and then installing framework service pack 1 on top of it without restarting in between. Then when you restart you have all the benefits of the framework without the log-in issue.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can also remove the ASP.NET account as it's only neede if you do .NET development.

mikesmrs

mikesmrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you Neil and Ztruker....

Your contributions are very much appreciated. :)