Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two independent systems? xp and vista

• Please log in to reply

d9085

d9085

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HI...

I have XP Pro installed on my first Sata 250gig hd. Some of the programs that I have I know won't work with vista. Like my early ver. of Zone Alarm and eTrust anti-virus. My creative premium x-fi sound card probably won't work until I try the new driver from creative. So here is my question:

When I install vista premium on my second Sata 250gig hd does it make it's own registry? And does it try and use the stsrtup programs on XP or can I install vista capable programs for vista's startup? Are the 2 systems going to act independent from each other?

I read when using dual boot and starting XP, it will erase the restore points made in vista. That doesn't really bother me and I'm sure there is a work-around for that.

I'm asking cause XP is running well and I don't want to mess that up.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

PARIAH

PARIAH

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
If it's on a second HD or partition, I it's treated completely separately. IDK if you can even install to the same partition. Each will run independently, although they'll be able to read/write files to eachother and to any other partitions opr storage on the machine