Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build, your opinions.

• Please log in to reply

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Thanks for the info every one! I'll probably buy the cooling system you posted, Troy (my name's Troy as well, in case you were wondering :)), after I get the rest of the parts since it may be a week or so before the CPU gets OC'd.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Troy (my name's Troy as well, in case you were wondering :))

Hi there,

I wasn't wondering, actually, but cool! Nice name. :)

I was really wondering what reconman means?

Also, I personally think it's a good idea to wait for a while after a new build is completed before overclocking. That way, you can test and check for stability of the components, and then once that's clarified, you can start to push them. If you find errors in stress-testing before overclocking, then something isn't right and needs sorting. Overclocking in this instance will make things worse.

Cheers

Troy

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
:)

Well, I'm interested in the history of war and such, so that's where the name "recon man" comes from.

About the over clocking, I was think this as well to make sure everything is running as it should be before OCing. I'm really in no rush to bump it up to the fastest I can get it so it shouldn't be a problem for me to get that after market cooler. Thanks for all of the help guys, I appreciate it :)

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Well, over two months later, I finally purchased the rest of the parts lol. I was wondering what program(s) you guys prefer to use to test out a new system (you know the ones that run for hours on end.)

Edited by reconman, 29 May 2008 - 02:07 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

To stress-test a system, there are a few tricks you can use. I'm sure there are others who have some different utilities to suggest as well.

First up, we have CPU-Z. This will give you all the information you need to know about your processor, including stock clock information, and current clock speeds (to indicate overclocking etc). Also available is information on your Cache, Mainboard, Memory, SPD, and an About tab.

Next, we have the graphics equivalent, GPU-Z.

Further along, we have Core Temp. This will tell you the temperatures of your processor.

Lastly, Speedfan. This is known to have issues with reporting the CPU temperatures as wrong (use Core Temp for this), but is an extremely handy utility for helping you know other temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, etc... Just make sure you right-click and select "Run as administrator".

Now, with these programs running, you can keep an eye on everything, like temperatures, voltages, etc...

There are four main programs I like to run on a computer. These are:
For Orthos and Prime 95, you'll want to have these running at least over night and be completing with no errors and no warnings.

Cheers

Troy

reconman

reconman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hey Troy,

Thanks for the recommended programs! I'm very curious as to what my new system will get in 3dMark. My current system got 254 marks... I can not wait to build this thing!!!