Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange networking problem

• Please log in to reply

BIGEYE

BIGEYE

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have a 4 port router, 3 desktops are connected to ports 1,2 & 3 and a laptop connected to port 4. Everything has been working fine until an hour ago. All of a sudden a notification message popped up on my system tray saying something with the same IP address is on my network (or words to that affect), and the laptop stopped accessing the intenet. The little icon on the task bar indicated a lost network connection, but all desktops continued working OK.
All TCP/IP settings on the laptop are the same as before before it stopped working, so nothing has changed there. I then tried the laptop on ports 1 & 2 of the router, still showing the lost network icon.

I then got my work laptop out and tried this on ports 1 & 4 of the router - it too is showng lost network icon. The work laptop was working fine a couple of weeks ago, as I was using it on port 1 for a couple of weeks.

Used cables connected to ports, didn't use same cable for each test.

Appreciate any help.

TIA

Advertisements

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

From what i'm guessing from your post is that you have an IP conflict. This sometimes happens when the router decides to go a little strange. It's quite common. You could try

a/ to restart each computer laptop, one after the other or

b/ on the offending computer/laptop
1. press your start button
2. select "run"
3. type "cmd" (without quotes)
4. in the black pop up box type "ipconfig /renew"

Generally option b does the same as restarting the system and renews your IP address. If that don't work let me know and we can manually set your IP addresses on your problem computers/laptop.