Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Freezes

• Please log in to reply

Fraglimat

Fraglimat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer finds it funny to just freeze/hang from time to time and I don't know why! Sometimes it hangs when I play games and sometimes when I just surf or exploring my drives. Some games just exit to windows though.

I have an AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+
1.99 GHz, 768 MB RAM.
A GeForce FX5500

Nothing seems overheated... except for perhaps the CPU which is on 57-58C
I don't know if it's hot for my comp or not so...
I would really like some help because it can get PRETTY frustrating... and I don't find any warnings or anything.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

First try updating to the latest video drivers and see if that helps.

The cpu temp is high if it is accurate, has it always been at that temp?
Is this a idle temp?
What mobo?
Is the temp from a software read out or from bios?

Rick

Darkmocha

Darkmocha

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
That temp is a bit high but if that's what it maxes out at then it's fine. If that's just the idle temp then you definitely have a problem and the computer is shutting down to make sure it doesn't melt.

Fraglimat

Fraglimat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have updated the drivers... and it is the idle temp, read from both bios and other progs. I'm not sure if it's always been at that temp, and I unfortunatly have to ask what is mobo? :tazz:

Only solvable by buying some better cooling system I suppose? I wish it wasn't cus my economy is pretty bad this month... Another question also... why is my AGP Status deactivated? And how do I activate it?

Darkmocha

Darkmocha

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I have updated the drivers... and it is the idle temp, read from both bios and other progs. I'm not sure if it's always been at that temp, and I unfortunatly have to ask what is mobo?  :tazz:

Only solvable by buying some better cooling system I suppose? I wish it wasn't cus my economy is pretty bad this month... Another question also... why is my AGP Status deactivated? And how do I activate it?

View Post

It's activated through the bios although I don't remember the exact name of the setting, and mobo = motherboard. Do you know what motherboard you have? You might just need to install chipset drivers to enable AGP.

Also that is far too hot. You'll need at least a better heatsink which you should be able to get for around $20 at just about any online store. A new exhaust fan or two wouldn't hurt either.

Fraglimat

Fraglimat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, now the agp is activated anyway, thanks for that. Now all left for me to do is buy lots of cooling for my CPU... ah well. By the way, what should my CPU temp actually be at?

Darkmocha

Darkmocha

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My cpu hovers around 50 and doesn't go above 55. I've heard people go lower but anything below 60 is fine.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Did updating the drivers help, if it did not then we should troubleshoot heat.

Ideally Amd cpu's should idel in the low 40's C and no higher than 60C under full load.

Your 66C temp at idle could be your problem, I say could be because the censors that read these temps are notorius for reading high

Try this test with your computer at idle for at least 15 minutes, be carefull, see if it will give you a idea if it is truely running in the 60's
70C = Burnt Fingers
60C = Painfull
50C = Hot
40C = Pleasantly Warm

If it is and the computer ran good without the freeze problem before then you may only need to clean the hs (heatsink).

First get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the hs if there don't appear to be any or this don't fix the problem then you need to take off the hs (note witch way it is positioned it must be reinstalled the same way).

Clean the hs and cpu, carefully scrape the old compound off with a piece of credit card then clean the remainder with rubbing alcohol.

Then get Artic silver 5 thermal paste and follow the instructions on there website on how to apply, then reattach the hs.

If the computer has been running this hot/freezing from when it was first built then you may need additional cooling fans or a better hs.

Also tie up all cables that may restrict airflow helps alot

Rick

Fraglimat

Fraglimat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I opened up the chassi and opened a window to let the cool spring air inside... and now it's around 52-53 C and it hasn't frozen up yet. And to the AGP thing... now it says it's activated like I said... but Everest says the AGP port is empty and the display settings says my graphics card is in the PCI-bus 1... Should it be like this? If not, how can I fix it?

Darkmocha

Darkmocha

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well the FX5500 comes in both an AGP and a PCI flavor, which version is your's? The AGP port is usually a single, brown port set off a little from the white PCI slots underneath.

Fraglimat

Fraglimat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's an AGP card... I stuck it in the AGP port anyway :tazz:. No, but seriously, it's AGP x8. And it froze again ;)... While playing Deus Ex - Invisible War.. but I have to play it on lowlowlow graphics or it is hardly playable. Could it be a graphics card error?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If the temp was down to 52c at idle it could go upto mid 60's when playing a game and cause the freeze so I would clean and reapply thermel paste. You have to get the temps down then work on the video problem.

As far as the video, the card could be overheating because of the cpu temp problem but after that is fixed if the video problem still continues try running the card at 4X then disable fast write, set the apg aperture size down a notch.

Try these one at a time to determine witch helps.

Rick