Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 64 and 32 bit OEM or retail

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok I had a few questions about the versions available for sail... I'm looking at premium versions, but I am wondering what is better, and why they are better:

32bit vs 64bit and how performance will be changed

And I am wondering what it means Reatail and OEM, and when it says OEM 3 pack and single pack, for instance on New egg: http://www.newegg.co...mp;name=Premium

I have also read on the home page about the system build, if you bought a version and you have a DOA mobo, or Ram or some hardware, it is only good for one install, and if you have to get another mobo, you are stuck getting another copy of the OS... Can anyone answer these questions for me?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OEM 3 pack means what it says - a pack of 3 OEM licences. Unless you're building three computers, you don't need three licences.

Retail licences mean they can be transferred from computer to computer, OEM licences cannot.
Retail licences usually come in an Upgrade version or a full version. The Upgrade version can be be clean-installed or used to upgrade from Vista. The Full version can be installed on an empty disk. The OEM version will insist on wiping the machine with no upgrade ability provided.

You can install Vista until the cows come home, long as its on the same hardware, it'll be fine.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
what happens if you are looking to upgrade, say going from a 939 socket to AM2 socket processor, meaning you get new motherboard, CPU, and RAM will I be able to install windows vista on that after I had it installed on my previous machine... well the real question is, will Microsoft let me use my license key.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

what happens if you are looking to upgrade, say going from a 939 socket to AM2 socket processor, meaning you get new motherboard, CPU, and RAM will I be able to install windows vista on that after I had it installed on my previous machine... well the real question is, will Microsoft let me use my license key.

Howdy:

Not if you get an OEM version.

If you change a substantial amount of hardware and a mobo is considered just that (a new system), then you will need to purchase a new version of Vista.

The second you install an OEM version on a system, it is forever married to that system even if you throw it out.

Murray

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
so, then say I buy the retail version of vista... I install it today, and 2 years down the road I change my system. Will I be able to install it and use the same key when I upgrade?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If it retail then yes.

You may have to call Microsoft to activate but it will activate.

Murray

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Even with the OEM version, if you change your hardware, I have been able to call MS and activate, but it's up to you depending on how legit you want it to be, therefore I would not recommend it. I am running Vista x64 Home Premium, and have noticed some performance increases with my Socket 939 AMD X2 4200+, but they are more or less nominal. Additionally, depending on your hardware, you may have a little trouble finding all the essential drivers. Just from experience, I have noticed better performance when it comes to benchmarking, and encoding video, but there has definitely been a performance hit when it comes to gaming, not by too much, right about 3-4 frames a game compared to XP Pro.

strikermed

strikermed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
oh ok... Well calling up microsoft is what I have to do to authenticate my do version now since I have had to reinstall so many times... I finally Gor my system running again (specs below with up mobs) and that's what I'm gonna have to do shortly to install. I was just looking at vista for when the sp1 comes out, and curious if it will flat out block you, or if you could get an authorization again.

Just hope I found all the drivers for this new board, and hope windows update gets the rest