Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The "Blue Screen of Death" = Only Ram Issues?

• Please log in to reply

Ninja Kitten

Ninja Kitten

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, over the last 2 days (after spending nearly $1000 to completely rebuild my comp... though Ive had it almost a month now) I started getting the well known, blue screen with white font. Gone so fast due to an auto reboot I can't read a single word of it.

It happens at random times and I've noticed my computer has been running slightly slower ever since it started (even after I formated last night... so I know it cant be registry issues). The odd thing is sometimes my computer beeps multiple times before rebooting itself, and the blue screen doesn't always come up.

Now I've also seen this screen due to other issues like when I put all my new parts in but still had the same hard-drive and the screen (that I managed to catch a picture of lol) spoke of not having proper drivers installed and such so the system failed (everything was new literally except my hard-drive). This was obviously easily fixed.

Now, Ive had the blue screen due to ram issues before, and the blue screen Im having now seems to have alot more text on it (taking up about half the screen) so Im wondering if it is in fact due to that.

The other odd thing is with my new ram (which is 4 sticks of 1gb) when I pull up my comp specs, it says I only have 3.25gb of ram. Ive never come across the issue where it registers less than I actually have, so does this in fact give support to it being a ram related issue?

Anyways, my main reason for posting this is because I have a 30-day guarantee on my new parts, and this just happens to end tomorrow... so I need to figure out what's wrong and by the end of the night unless I want to re-purchase some parts... which will make me quite despressed lol.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.

Edited by Ninja Kitten, 26 March 2008 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Multiple beeps when starting the computer says you have a hardware problem.

Heres a program that can disable auto reboot so you can seewhat your errors are.

http://lifehacker.co...over-308758.php

Or you can do this,

Click the 'Start' button in the task bar- then click 'Run' and type sysdm.cpl (without the quotes) and press 'OK'.

This will open the System Properties window. In the System Properties window click on the 'Advanced' tab. Under 'Startup and Recovery' click the 'Settings' button.

Now in the Startup and Recovery window, under 'System Failure' remove the check form the 'Automatically Restart' checkbox.

Next click 'OK' then click 'OK' in the System Properties window for the changes to take effect.

You will have to reverse this and recheck the box if you want to go back to auto restart.

Check the websites for BEEP codes.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Due to an architectural decision made long ago by Microsoft, if you have 4GB of physical RAM installed, Windows is only able to report a portion of the physical 4GB of RAM (ranges from ~2.75GB to 3.5GB depending on the devices installed, motherboard's chipset & BIOS).

This behavior is due to "memory mapped IO reservations". Those reservations overlay the physical address space and mask out those physical addresses so that they cannot be used for working memory. This is independent of the OS running on the machine.

Significant chunks of address space below 4GB (the highest address accessible via 32-bit) get reserved for use by system hardware:

• BIOS – including ACPI and legacy video support

• PCI bus including bridges etc.

• PCI Express support will reserve at least 256MB, up to 768MB depending on graphics card installed memory

What this means is a typical system may see between ~256MB and 1GB of address space below 4GB reserved for hardware use that the OS cannot access. Intel chipset specs are pretty good at explaining what address ranges gets reserved by default and in some cases call out that 1.5GB is always reserved and thus inaccessible to Windows.

http://support.micro...kb/929605/en-us

SRX660

Ninja Kitten

Ninja Kitten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed, if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable compoents, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x805219c4)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or techical support group for further assistance."

And it's wierd because the error didnt show up for a good 8 hours yesterday, and then when it did it wouldn't stop until I left the computer off for a bit. Could it be due to some over-heating issue? I mean my 8800 GTX graphics card seems to get pretty hot, but yesterday I left the case open and put a huge fan on it the whole time the computer was on. Plus I didn't play any games or have any real use for the graphics card yesterday.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, this does sound like a overheating issue. You might try downloading Speedfan and see if it will tell you any temps on the computer. It may indicate that you have a problem with temps if the temps are high when idling or after running the computer for a hour working hard. It also may be a problem with voltages causing some to the hardware to falter. The caveat with Speedfan is it does not work on some motherboards to read temps. Then you might try "motherboard monitor" to find any temps.

Speedfan
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Motherboard Monitor
http://www.majorgeek...oad.php?det=311

Heres Aumha's take on the error. Scroll down to the 0x0000000A error.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

And heres Microsoft's article on the error, Only they are always so vague on their answers it doesn't mean much to me.

http://support.micro...=314063&sd=RMVP

SRX660

Ninja Kitten

Ninja Kitten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, I am agreeing with it probably beeing an over-heat issue because I havnt really left my computer on for a long period of time until recently. I downloaded the said programs and am going to monitor them over the next few hours to see if it starts to over-heat. Though Motherboard Monitor does not support my motherboard unfortuently.

On the SpeedFan program, my Temp 3 is at 80C which doesn't seem good and I had only had my comp on for about 5 min before installing the said program after it being off for almost 3 hours. Im trying to figure out exactly what portion Temp 3 is. The over-all (Temp 1) is at 34C right now but was originally at 31C... it seems to be slowly climbing.
Edit: The over-all temp seems to be holding at 33C, though that Temp3 is still at 80C

I read Aumha's take on the error as well, could this failure to access specific memory cells also be over-heat related?

My boyfriend said he also noticed a slight "burning smell" when he sat down near my computer, obviously something I must be use to and can't smell.

So my main question will be (considering I only have a few hours to return any of these parts under my 30-day guarantee) what is the best way to stop the over-heat issue? I mean as said I stuck a huge fan next to my opened case and obviously that did not help (though it seemed to take much longer to over-heat with it) so more fans aren't going to do much. Could it be something as simple as buying a power-supply with more watts? Or is a part in my computer just bad and I should take advantage of that 30-day guarantee to replace it for a new one (though every part in my computer is less than a month old).

Here's my detailed computer specs if it helps:
SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : STRIVE
User : Crystal
Workgroup : MSHOME

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
Speed : 2.81GHz
Model Number : 5600
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 2x 64kB, Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2x 1MB, ECC, Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way, 64 byte line size

System
System : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790FX-DS5
Platform Compliance : AMD LIVE!
Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790FX-DS5
Bus(es) : ISA PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : 1 Processor(s)
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
System BIOS : Award Software International, Inc. 255.255
Total Memory : 3.25GB DDR2

Chipset 1
Model : ATI RD790 GFX Dual Slot
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1.00GHz (2.01GHz)

Chipset 2
Model : AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1.00GHz (2.01GHz)
Total Memory : 4GB DDR2
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 402MHz (804MHz)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Dell P991
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Physical Storage Devices
WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 80GB (ATA100, 2MB Cache) : 74.53GB (C:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 74.52GB (61.68GB, 83% Free Space) (NTFS) @ WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 80GB (ATA100, 2MB Cache)
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A @ WDC WD800BB-00JHC0 80GB (ATA100, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : Win32 x86

Network Services
Adapter : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Performance Tips
Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory.
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

My powersupply is 500 watts.

Edited by Ninja Kitten, 27 March 2008 - 11:44 AM.

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
a quick tip, the 8800 fans run at %60 and usually don't ever go above that unless forced to, get the nvidia software (ntune I believe) and set that fan up to 100% all the time, it's louder but may solve yoru problem, also did you put the thermal paste correctly on your CPU? what are your fan speeds? do you have plenty of exhaust fans on your case? are both of the fans on your PSU working? and lastly never discount the obvious :)

at the time of the error feel around your case, put your hand on your GPU, and heatsinks on your MOBO, the PSU, RAM anything that feels hotter than it should (you'll know it's not really a shady thing)

If I'm not mistaken the error code is pointing to the nvidia driver which of course is your graphics card.

Edited by pr0n, 27 March 2008 - 11:58 AM.

Ninja Kitten

Ninja Kitten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I downloaded nTune but it says I do not have the required motherboard to run it :)
Is there some sort of univeral program I can get to do this?
Edit: I found a program called Riva Tuner that did the trick. I now have it set at 100% (and can hear the difference lol). It was apparently set at only 36% before. Thanks for the suggestion, my video card doesn't seem nearly as hot as it was getting at yesterday.
As far as my gel, well it came on it already, had a nice little packaging around it to keep it fresh.

My Temp3 is still at 80C though :/

Edited by Ninja Kitten, 27 March 2008 - 12:11 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely the Temp 3 reading is not a reading at all. Just a sensor that is out of whack( many sensors are known to be off by a great deal)or speedfan just can't read it right. Anytime you can smell a plastic kind of smell means the temps are hot enough to gas off the plastic parts. So it may be that the video card is running higher than that temp 3 reading (the limit of the sensor). Normal for the card is 60-65°, where your's may be running at 80°( 176 °Faherheit). Perhaps installing a large 120MM fan into the side panel and cutting a hole right over thevideo card would help. I really think you would do better if you had a good computer builder see if he (she?) could install a better cooling system on the vidoe card. It may be a fan blowing in the case will not help a shrouded video cards cooling. Its definitely where to start looking.

SRX660

Ninja Kitten

Ninja Kitten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well one thing I just noticed, is that this Riva Tuner program I just installed to increase my fan speed also provides the temp of the graphics card which it's saying the core is only at 41C and the card doesn't feel hot at all anymore. SpeedFan also shows a core temp at 41C. Im thinking the 80C is something else as it keeps fluctuating between 79 and 80C

Edited by Ninja Kitten, 27 March 2008 - 12:22 PM.

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
check the north and south bridges of the mother board (there should be 2 fairly large heatsinks on the motherboard, one near the top usually just under the CPU and one down low just to the left of the expansion slots) temp three is going to be something obscure like that or maybe the RAM. I looked your MOBOs manual and found nothign about #3

Ninja Kitten

Ninja Kitten

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hm. Well I see what could possably be 3 heatsinks, but it seems like two are connected so does that count?... Im not sure about the heatsink thing really.
I've felt every inch of my computer and also re-applied the thermal paste to the CPU. Nothing feels abnormally hot or even close to 80C.

Here's some close-ups of my motherboard incase there's some heatsinks that I'm missing:
http://www.newegg.co...AMD Motherboard

Edited by Ninja Kitten, 27 March 2008 - 06:59 PM.

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
when I asked you to check the heat sinks i meant feel them for temps sorry I should have clarified that

nah sounds like you've seen em all,. if you're still getting a blue screen error, check the capacitors on your motherboard and video card
Posted Image

those are capacitors the one on the right is all swollen on top (bad) and the one on the left is leaking, (even more bad) overheating causes this to happen so if you can see anything like that then it's more than likely that's where the overheating is occurring. gygabit claims this doesn't happen in their boards but they lie it happens in all boards if they get too got. honestly I have no idea where temp number 3 is on your board I've looked for it in the owners manual (available at gigabits site if you don't have a physical one) and googled a few times for it to no avail. one things for sure, it's not the CPU. anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by pr0n, 27 March 2008 - 09:54 PM.