Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Movie Maker Keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

Niki116

Niki116

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello, I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on my PC and two days ago, I tried to run windows movie maker on it and it keeps crashing whenever I hit the Import Media button. I looked for some fixes for it on the internet, but none of them worked. Some fixes suggests it's a problem the file "ffdshow.ax'" and I thought that was it because I did have ffdshow installed on my computer a few months ago but uninstalled it. That file is nowhere to be found on my computer though. Anyone know how to fix this?

Product
Windows Movie Maker

Problem
Stopped working

Date
3/26/2008 6:57 PM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MOVIEMK.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b5b6
Fault Module Name: flvff.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4775aa4e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00003bae
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ee98
Additional Information 2: 46fb97020e99fd54128545b4df82441f
Additional Information 3: ee9e
Additional Information 4: b93c1e2afffd48c9c948a7a32f1ebf49

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 630584483

Advertisements

JDLT

JDLT

• Pip
  • 9 posts
If you have any friends or family who have Movie Maker then open their copy of the app, search for ffdshow.ax' and copy it onto a USB and then reinsert it into the root file of Movie Maker

1. Go to My Computer
2. Open C:/
3. Open the Movie Maker Folder
4. If you can remember in which sub-folder ffdshow.ax was in then insert it in there, other wise play around with inserting it into different folder until Movie Maker doesn't crash when you try and Import media

2. If this doesn't work, I suggest you buy Adobe Premiere Elements 5.0 or 6.0. It is more streamlined than Premiere CS3 and is designed for people who aren't editing wizzes, yet still has many usefuls options