Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless

• Please log in to reply

errndog

errndog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
To begin, this does not involve connecting to the internet. I have two Netgear cg814wg routers and I have two Xbox. If I connect an ethernet cable from one of the Netgear routers to the other, I can go to either Xbox, go to multiplayer / Link Play then create a game and play. My question is why can't I make this work wirelessly?? I'm sure I could go buy a wireless adapter and make it work, but I would like to try this first. Do I need to try to turn one of the routers into an adapter?? is this even possible??

Any help appreciated!!

equipment used: 2 Netgear cg814wg(wireless/cable modem/routers)
2 Xbox
2 5ft ethernet cables
1 25ft ethernet cable (the one I don't want to use)

Edited by errndog, 26 March 2008 - 10:25 PM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
First, Welcome to Geeks-To-Go.

While technically the answer is yes, this is possible, it may not be easy to implement if your routers do not support bridging. What you are trying to accomplish i called a wireless bridge, for more information see here. If your router's firmware supports it, then you can easily set this up. Look through the configuration options on your router to see if this is possible.

I have a similar setup where my xbox plugs directly into a wireless router which is then bridged into my main wireless network.

The way, I did this was I went on ebay and found a cheap wireless router that is compatible with the dd-wrt firmware and placed that firmware on the router which supports wireless bridging. If you feel that this is something you want to look into, I can provide you with some more information. Just let me know.

The easiest way out is to buy a wireless adapter but the cheapest way out is to go the dd-wrt way, but it will be more time consuming and a little more complex.

Good luck.

errndog

errndog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the welcome and thank you even more for the info!! :)