Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best way to convert old Photos to Digital copies ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have all my photos from childhood until now as regular hard copies.

I have negatives for some of them.

I would like to convert all these photos to digital copies so that I can store them on DVDs & Hard drive.

What is the best way to do this so that I can get fairly good copies without giving up too much quality ?

Thank You.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Use a scanner.

If you don't have one, Walmart has one you can use, for a price which is reasonable.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you have any Thrift stores in your area, you can pick up a scanner for about $10, at least that's what we sell then for.

You could also pay someone to do this for you but I don't know what that would cost. Many photo stores do this and places like Kinko's or similar.

Edited by Ztruker, 27 March 2008 - 07:08 PM.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Any suggestions on kind of scanner & dpi & format etc ?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Most scanners have the capability to allow you to alter the DPI. They are pretty much all the same.
I would get one that allows you to scan negatives and slides.
I have been experimenting with some of my parents slides, pictures, and negatives. I am finding that a negative is a little better (based on what I can visually see). Same goes with a slide (also a negative).
You will find you can now take them (digitally) in to a picture program and alter color, darness, etc.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I just did such job on my childhood pictures. I had photos which I wanted co scan and convert to files. When I asked for the price in some photo shops (I had about 80 pictures) I found that for the price of the scan I could buy a new all-in-one (An HP, for about 110$). So I bought the machine, scanned the pictures and improved the quality somewhat with Picassa. Fast and clean, no quality lost, even gained.

BUT when I tried to scan 35 mm colour slides the quality was very poor, even when I ran the machine on 1200 DPI (it takes a lot of time for every slide). Sometimes ago I researched for scanners specifically made for this purpose. They are expensive and I have no experience with them. You can ask in a photos hop how much they charge for the job and then make your calculations (price is quality dependent. If you wish higher resolution you pay more. Where I live they wanted about 1.25$ per slide!!)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have an HP 4570 that has the 35 mm attachment and it did a fairly good job. The only issue was on the real old slides, I couldn't blow them up without sacrificing the quality. With newer slides I could blow them up more without losing.