Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have dumprep 0 -k in my startup and it continues to start. When i di

• Please log in to reply

lilmixedazn

lilmixedazn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just reformatted my laptop since i think i cause a virus that disable my ability to start the task manager stating the "administrator had disabled it". After reformatting I reinstalled all drivers from sony.com (vgn-s460p). Before i reformatted i never got that error.

I have installed Spybot w/teetimer, McAfee OAS, which came from my university website. The only thing I downloaded was a driver off another website when I had a missing audio bus driver.

I have dumprep 0 -k in my startup and it continues to start. When i disable it my laptop has a message "Your system has recovered from a serious error...."

Also my Fn key doesn't work, and i get the "blue screen of death" whenever i'm running on batteries.

I reformatted with an original Windows XP Pro, why is this happening?

Thank you -please answer asap

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The dumpreg is part of a memory dump that occurs when when the system falls over. Realistically you should submit the error reports, you'll quite often get taken to a webpage with a fix for whatever it is that's making it fall over, if its caused by software.

On a laptop the Fn keys are your function keys which on a traditional PC keyboard are your F1, F2, F3 etc keys. You may need extra software to get the functionality back, this is available from the website of the people who made the laptop.

As to blue screens of death when running on batteries, simple solution is don't run on batteries :) Seriously though, what error code are you getting when it blue-screens?

lilmixedazn

lilmixedazn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i did a system restore which stopped the blue screen, i think i might of installed an incomplete driver. However, i reinstalled all the drivers from the sony.com website and my Fn function key still doesn't work for the sound, brightness, and my external LCD, but it does work with my "Scroll lock, Pause, Break, page up down, home and end" but not my brightness and sound!

and when i did a system restore it stopped the dumppreg...

**sigh** sorry for the long reply, taking midterms