Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unexplainable computer slowdown

• Please log in to reply

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay will do. I havent seen any improvement. However, i have to say that even when my computer was running perfectly IE was always slower than Firefox. I dont know if my computer just doesnt like IE but its never been optimal.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
Hi Skeptic and nashville-bound that is a false positive from the Panda scan (they do not encrypt their definitions) If you wish I can re-open the malware topic and take a fresh look :)

mash potato

mash potato

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
at the end you can try this to really speed up your computer

1- Download ATF CLEANER >>Install it and run it

Download it from here>> http://www.atribune....c...5&Itemid=25

2- Defragment your harddrive press the start Button on your left buttom of your screen
Click on ALL PROGRAMS >>move cursor to ACCESSORIES>>SYSTEM TOOLS>>Click On DISK DEFRAGMENTER>>Just press DEFRAGMENT>>this may take awhile depending on your harddrive so be patient and let it finish

3-Run a CHECK DISK start Button on your left buttom of your screen Click on RUN>> In the small window Type this in chkdsk /r Click ok>>on the command window you see a flashing white bar Type Y for yes Press ENTER on your keyboard >>>>You will get a warning saying check disk cannot run ...another volume is using it.... Do you wish to schedule it....Just RESTART your computer.....

NOTE When you type chkdsk /r >>there a space between the k and the /
At the restart of your computer CHECK DISK will run...Again this will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to reach desktop
so DO NOT DISTURB this...Once its complete your computer will restart to normal windows

Doing these three steps without any issues with your computer it should increase performance
Another concern for having a slow performance is your RAM
To determine how much RAM you have installed you can find out by checking your SYSTEM PROPERTIES To do this just >>>PRESS THE WINDOWS KEY on your keyboard and PRESS PAUSE/BREAK KEY
WINDOWS KEY is between your CTRL and ALT>>>>>PAUSE/BREAK is on the upper right above the NUM LOCK KEY
Your SYSTEM PROPERTIES will pop-up on that window look for any of these possible numbers that match your RAM 128MB>>256MB>> 512MB>>1.0GB or 1024MB.....
Other possibilities of slow computer is Not needed Programs running in the background >>>>malware
But start with the three steps first

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Skeptic, ive done all the steps and I'm not seeing any improvement with the speed of webpages loading. However, I can now use Adobe. I opened a 300 page ebook and the program didnt have to close. One small victory!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
One other thing you can try is to run the WinsockFix, see if that helps.

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ztrucker, i keep getting the message that its not a valid Win32 application

:)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I just downloaded it from the link I posted and it runs fine for me. All I can suggest is to download it again. It should be 1,412KB in size.

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I downloaded it form another location and it went through. I did not do reg backup though. Should i do that as well? So far it hasnt seemed to make a difference.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would try two other things:

1: Enter Doug Knox internet site (here) and run EXE files association fix.

2: Try to disable, temporarily, every automatic update that exist in your computer. That includes (possibly among others) windows automatic updates, antimalware program's automatic updates, java, adobe, etc. See if it makes any difference.

Also, if I didn't mention before, ununstall every tool bar from your browser including yahoo, google and others.

Please take these steps one at a time and test the computer after each is completed.

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I'm not seeing any improvement.

Would re-installing Windows be the final attempt at trying to fix this? Ive done it before. I dont want to do it again but this is becoming such a nuisance I'm ready to pull my hair out!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Reinstalling XP should fix this but as you said, this is the last thing you want to do as it's a painful process.

Give Dial-A-Fix a try, see if it helps.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Try from your Start Menu>>Run>>cmd>>click ok

type this in Command Prompt (CMD.EXE)

netsh winsock show catalog >C:\lsp.txt

that should reset winsock

Edited by Mr Freeze, 05 April 2008 - 11:05 PM.

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ztruker, there's alot of options LOL Which boxes do i need to check?

Ive just encountered a new problem tonight. Avast keeps giving me a message there was an error trying to update. I double checked my firewall to make sure it was allowed to go through. Thats never happened before.

Edited by nashville-bound, 05 April 2008 - 11:12 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
let's see what we have and what we have done so far:

Symptoms:
1: Internet problems.
2: Other programs problems. That is very important because it usually indicate for a more general problem than when you only have internet problems.

What we did:
  • The computer was tested in the malware forum and found to be clean.
  • A presumably serious virus infection was declared false positive by Essexboy.
  • We ran brief tests for the hardware and found no problems.
  • We took certain procedures to speed up the computer. That didn't help except for fixing, somehow, problems with Adobe.
  • We renew winsock and tcp/ip and that didn't help.
  • We disabled items known to affect internet (and general) speed like toolbars and various automatic updates.
  • We disabled firefox which showed excessive cpu usage in task manager
  • We checked the virtual memory
  • We tested transfer mode to the hard disk.

There are still several other possibilities:

• Faulty network adapter. This can really give you gray hair because a problem there can manifest itself in a variety of ways. This can only be tested by replacing the network adapter.
  • Some fault in the modem/router. Gray hair and method of testing like with the adapter: replace modem/router or move the computer to another modem and test it there.
  • Some unidentified software problem (driver, windows, other programs). Very often we cannot pinpoint the source. If this is the case then a clean format is your best option.

Edited by The Skeptic, 06 April 2008 - 04:20 AM.

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I am going to prepare to do a clean install within the next week. I'll print out the old instructions from last time...i think my old posts are still here. And if i have any questions I'll let you know.