Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB detection

• Please log in to reply

Syclone

Syclone

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay so this is what I have, a malfunction USB port kinda...

I have a bass amplifed headset that when plugged into all the usb ports work. I have three other usb devices a USB printer, a USB mp3 player, and a USB connectable cell phone. Now none of those work but the headset... on any port. All three devices work when plugged into other computers, with any number of different cords that I've used. I'm running a fresh install of Windows XP home, completely updated.

I've tried the devices on all ports, none work on any, I've tried them on other computers they work fine. So something is missing on my main computer.

Advertisements

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello ,

please try installing drivers for all other three devices provide by manufacturer and then check wether they work or not

Syclone

Syclone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay I did that, multiple times didn't do anything =X

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Pleae remove all of the installed software for the items, and then see if Windows will find the new hardware when you plug them in.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Also, did these devices ever work on this computer?

Syclone

Syclone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Pleae remove all of the installed software for the items, and then see if Windows will find the new hardware when you plug them in.

done that, and still nothing, it's almost like there's a short in the connection =X, I'm not completely computer illerate I've tried all I know... it's almost like the plug and play driver is missing or something

Also, did these devices ever work on this computer?

yes they did, about a month ago or so

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I have this squirreled away, give it a try.

Follow directions in the MS article, see if that helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

If not, Try this, often helps. The key here is that XP does not show USB devices that are not connected. This forces it to:

Shutdown and unplug all USB devices.
Boot to BIOS Setup and load defaults (F5 or F9 usually).
Boot XP, open a command prompt, enter set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1. Leave the command prompt window open.
Open Device Manager, click on View then Show hidden devices. Scroll down to USB and click on the plus to expand it. Uninstall them one at a time. DO NOT uninstall your mouse if you are using a USB mouse.
Shutdown and reboot, let XP rediscover everything and load necessary drivers. This can take a few minutes, be patient.

Now try the USB device, see what happens.

Syclone

Syclone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have this squirreled away, give it a try.

Follow directions in the MS article, see if that helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

If not, Try this, often helps. The key here is that XP does not show USB devices that are not connected. This forces it to:

Shutdown and unplug all USB devices.
Boot to BIOS Setup and load defaults (F5 or F9 usually).
Boot XP, open a command prompt, enter set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1. Leave the command prompt window open.
Open Device Manager, click on View then Show hidden devices. Scroll down to USB and click on the plus to expand it. Uninstall them one at a time. DO NOT uninstall your mouse if you are using a USB mouse.
Shutdown and reboot, let XP rediscover everything and load necessary drivers. This can take a few minutes, be patient.

Now try the USB device, see what happens.

okay so I did that, and it worked kinddda... like windows now sees that I have usb ports! butttt they can't read anything...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
What is the make and model of your computer?

Syclone

Syclone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What is the make and model of your computer?

Vaio
PCV-RS620G

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I see two downloads on teh Sony web site that might help with this: http://esupport.sony.......S620G&LOC=3

1. 11/26/2004 BIOS AMIBIOS®Update Utility - Resolves a System Standby issue and adds processor support.
2. 10/06/2003 Motherboard This utility will install the originally shipped version of the Intel® 865PE Chipset Device Driver for the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating Systems.

Try #2 first, see if it makes any difference. If not, try #1. Even though it does not say it has any USB fixes, flashing the BIOS might have some effect.

Syclone

Syclone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I see two downloads on teh Sony web site that might help with this: http://esupport.sony.......S620G&LOC=3

1. 11/26/2004 BIOS AMIBIOS®Update Utility - Resolves a System Standby issue and adds processor support.
2. 10/06/2003 Motherboard This utility will install the originally shipped version of the Intel® 865PE Chipset Device Driver for the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating Systems.

Try #2 first, see if it makes any difference. If not, try #1. Even though it does not say it has any USB fixes, flashing the BIOS might have some effect.

once again didn't work x.x;; I'm about to just take the computer into like geek squad or something x.x again thank you for yout help and if someone has something I haven't tried or hasn't been suggested please and thanks