Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP starts to load but doesn't then shuts off

• Please log in to reply

doerthoch

doerthoch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
Running Windows XP.
Out of the blue, turned on the Gateway we have and Windows trys to load but doesn't, then powers down.
Tried turning off the system and powering up several times but still does it.

What could it be, virus? HELP
Thanks so much

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
It may be that you have corruption in the boot sector (Master boot record).
It would be best to first run check disk before we repair the MBR.
Do you have a valid XP disc?
How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors
Please let me know what happens with this.
I will need to know about any errors that may indicate a failed hard drive.
After this I will give instructions on how to repair the MBR.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Don't mean to step on your toes HFCG, but I don't see how a corrupted boot sector is going to cause a computer to power down. Where in the boot sequence does it power down? This sounds more like a hardware or corrupted device driver problem, or the PSU is defective.

Have you ever opened up the computer and cleaned out the accumulated dust, especially around the fans and CPU heat sink?

Can you boot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 when you see the OEM Logo displayed? That should give you the Safe Mode menu. Select Safe Mode and see what happens.

Edited by Ztruker, 27 March 2008 - 07:43 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You are correct ZTruker, I just wanted to make sure that the hard drive was ok before we went any further.

The Legionnaire

The Legionnaire

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't mean to hijack this guy's thread but I'm having the exact same problem 'cept for a homebuilt system, and I CAN boot into safe-mode, I assume this means it's hardware? I have a recording studio setup in my home, and I have a session tommorow!!!!

The windows xp professional screen starts to log in and then the pc shuts down just as it seems windows is going to start.

PLEASE HELP!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
The Legionnaire ---

Please start a New Topic for your own issue.
Trying to include it here is likely to cause instructions specific to the original poster's machine to be confused with instructions for your own machine.
Thanks, we'll be glad to try to assist in your own thread. :)

Mr. Freeze...
I have temporarily removed your instructions.
The instructions are not internally consistant.
The instructions are not likely to assist this user.
The instructions as a whole conflict and recommend keystrokes that both do not work, and can be hazardous.

If you have questions about my action, feel free to post to me or to admin/mod staff.

Best Regards,
Doug