Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Annoying Desktop Icon Thingy

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My little brother doesn't really understand computers all that well.. but he was downloading something and thought it was too slow for his low patience. So he search on google and then downloaded something that he thought would speed up the download speeds, but then he decided to cancel it.

Now i have a little icon on my desktop, with the name "speedupmycomputer3aff" that i want to get rid of. When i try to run it it says: "is not a valid win32 application".. and when i try to delete it it says "cannot delete as it is being used by another person or program"

So it just sits there and i can't do anything about it, its just really annoying. (I am a perfectionist, i have all my icons arranged nicely, put into certain areas of the screen depending on the type, all flowing smoothly and not blocking any nice details of the background picture etc etc etc)

Also: this thing he downloaded is supposed to be something that is installed, but because he cancelled, there is nothing else whatsoever to do with it on my computer. Just this phantom desktop icon that won't go away.

I've tried deleting it in safe mode but it doesn't make a difference.

So can anybody help me?

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
Two things you can do.

1. Use System restore to a date before your LB did this.
2. Install Unlocker. Right click on the icon and select Unlocker. If it can't delete it then it can delete it on the next boot.

I would recommend #1 though as there may be some registry entries or other stuff associated with this program that you want to eliminate.