Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gears Of War

• Please log in to reply

Redhammer999

Redhammer999

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, all first time post to this site. anyways GOW stops working after about 20-30seconds into the game (menu and game itself) and thats about it apart from fully upto date, reinstalled etc... any suggestions?

if ya need more info please ask I'm REALLY REALLY STUCK!!!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hi there Redhammer999, and welcome to Geeks to Go. Please follow the following steps to get Gears of War working.

• Verify that your system meets all minimum requirements.
  • Update your video card drivers. (NVIDIA ATI)
  • Download and install Gears of War Title Update.
  • Download and install LIVE Redistributable V1.2. It might ask you to uninstall LIVE first. If so, do that, then run it again to install.
  • Note: The following involves editing the registry, which can cause problems if you don't know what you are doing. The instructions I am about to give should not cause any problems, but just in case, I've included steps to back up the part of the registry you will be modifying. Go to the registry editor. To do so, type regedit in the search box in the Start menu, then select it from the top of the Start menu (in the search results). Now, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management. Go to File, then select Export. Make sure Selected Branch is checked, then save the file. You can run this file later to restore the registry entry we are about to change. Now, change the PagedPoolSize value to FFFFFFFF. Then restart the computer.
Hope that helps!

Silence...

Silence...

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the same problem.
Gears of War runs about 30 seconds perfectly, then crash.
I have Vista completely updated.
I went through all the steps that have been listed.
GoW still crashes.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Good suggestions so far. The official faq for troubleshooting is here: http://gearsforums.e...ad.php?t=607234

One of the suggestions they offered (if your running vista) is to disable the aero desktop. See the guide disable aero interface

Keep in mind that GoW is a very intensive game. You should check with System Requirement Labs to see how your system meets the game's requirements.

Silence...

Silence...

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem fixed.
I missed step 4 in stettybet0's post, which was the problem.