Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to connect to internet: Wireless & LAN

• Please log in to reply

BuckTurgidson

BuckTurgidson

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Previously posted this question in the malware forum by mistake:

Dell Inspiron 6000, Windows XP Small Business version 2002, Wireless router: ZyXEL model ZyAIR

I have limited (and this is not false modesty) computer skills.

I've had no internet connectivity problems on the equipt. listed above for two years. Stayed at a friend's home for a few days where I used a wireless connection for a problem free internet experience. Upon returning home yesterday, I could no longer connect to the internet. Wireless signal strength is excellent however, the machine repeatedly attempts to acquire network address without success. Also, LAN connection shows "Limited or no connectivity". My second laptop (supplied by my employer, upon which I am communicating now) connects just fine. Tried recycling laptop, router and modem multiple times without success. What on earth could've happened? Would appreciate your help in getting connected to the internet again as my second laptop is going away soon.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go,
Is the computer connecting to the local network?
When you are using a wireless network the computer may try to connect to that network even though you are now trying to use a different network.
Can the computer connect if it is wired to the router?

BuckTurgidson

BuckTurgidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanx for your quick response. I ran a wire from one of my router LAN ports to my laptop and I was able to connect that way. Still can't connect wirelessly, however.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Can you connect to the local network wirelessly?

BuckTurgidson

BuckTurgidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nope, cannot connect wirelessly; the machine attempts to acquire the network address a few times and then quits trying.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Right-click the wireless network icon in the lower-right corner of your screen, and then click View Available Wireless Networks. If you run into any problems, consult the documentation that came with your network adapter. Don't be afraid to call their tech support.

The Wireless Network Connection window should appear and you should see your wireless network listed with the network name you chose. If you don't see your network, click Refresh network list in the upper-left corner. Click your network, and then click Connect in the lower-right corner.

Windows XP prompts you to enter a key. Type the encryption key that you wrote down earlier in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes, and then click Connect.

Windows XP will show its progress as it connects to your network. After you're connected, you can now close the Wireless Network Connection window. You're done.

Note: If the Wireless Network Connection window continues to show Acquiring Network Address, you may have mistyped the encryption key.
Hereis an article from Microsoft that may help you.

BuckTurgidson

BuckTurgidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Appreciate the tips. Right clicked Wireless Network Connection icon in the tray. A list of networks appeared. Double clicked on my network. Selected my network from choices listed and hit the connect button. Network key was automatically entered. Pressed connect. The machine tried to connect a few times and then quit trying to connect. Same negative result when I seclected my network again, although this time I was prompted to enter my encryption key, which I did. Thanks for the link, too. However, I wasn't able to find any information in it that might be useful in the resolution of the present issue. Any further ideas?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Try deleting the other networks that show up.
Your computer may still be trying to connect to one of them.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Try this
it is for your 6000
click on me
If that does not work then I would delete all and start again - but only if you set it up from the start.
Cheers
Peterm

BuckTurgidson

BuckTurgidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks hfcq and peterm.

hfcq: Don't have a clue how to delete the wireless networks that appear within range. However, I deleted all the other wireless networks which I have previously connected with. After deleting all prior network connections, the "Choose a wireless network" list still shows that the machine is attempting to acquire the address of my home router - without success.

peterm: Unfortunately, your link takes me to an address with a blank page.

What's my next move?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Odd I just clicked it and it worked !
Here is the link just copy and paste in your browser
http://support.dell....0401E0A55176D6D
Cheers
Peterm

BuckTurgidson

BuckTurgidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, thanx peterm! This link came right up - I'll check it out and report back at my first opportunity.

BuckTurgidson

BuckTurgidson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Problem solved: I gave back my router from my employer and installed a new router. Thanks for your help everyone.