Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After having the computer on for a while, i get weird errors and have

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Direct to: jeyragusa

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

To all others.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

Advertisements

jeyragusa

jeyragusa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
123Runner,

I am well aware of the pitfalls of registry cleaners and went that route because the only alternative I was considering was reformatting the drive, which means I had nothing to loose. Regretably, I neglected to mention this in my post.

You were also spot on when you indicated "Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved". Here's why:

Soon after I last posted, the problem resurfaced. Bummer. I then remembered that my ethernet modem/wireless router combo had recently conked out and I had replaced it with an older USB modem (connected directly to my computer, no wireless). Suspecting that this may be causing the problem, I replaced it with yet another modem. Sure enough, the problem vanished. I reinstalled the older modem again to ensure that the problem came back and it did.

So, even if I had reformaated my drive and reinstalled everything, I would still have had the problem!! Would'nt that have been frustrating!! For the last 5 days I have not had any problems. Fingers crossed.

Rochester1

Rochester1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, I found this site with Google after searching for information about an error that is bedeviling my other computer.

I am having the exact same error as the original poster: if the computer runs for awhile, eventually it quits working, programs start crashing, I get lots of miscellaneous error messages including the "not enough quota" and bad DLL and some others. Also text doesn't display properly. The green "start" in the lower left, the time in the lower right, and some (but not all) text in any open windows disappears. And the restart/shutdown box appears transparent (if it appears at all.)

The time between starting the computer and the crashes varies seemingly without rhyme or reason between a couple hours and several days.

The first warning that I get when the crash is imminent is my battery-backup monitor program in the tray in the lower right gets the little yellow triangle with the ! in it (as it would if it couldn't talk to the battery unit itself) and I can't open that. The rest of the crashes and error messages usually start within minutes of that. I have not noticed the computer getting noticeably slower just before crashing.

The computer is an HP running Windows XP, SP3, with 2 gigabytes of Ram. Processor is 2.93 gigahertz. (I am using the other computer to type this.)

I first noticed this problem in early November. This is what I have tried to do to fix it so far:

* Disabled certain startup programs (to clear clutter in memory as much as anything else.) No changes
* Did the memtest86. Returned no errors.
* Performed a spyware scan and virus scan in normal mode. Came up empty.
* Defragmented my hard disks. Didn't help
* Disabled my video card and went back to using the built-in video. Didn't fix it.
* Restored my main hard disk from a backup made in August. Didn't help

Currently working on:
* Increased the size of my paging files (not tested yet).
* Performing a spyware scan and virus scan in safe mode (results pending).

Next plan if this doesn't work:
* Doing the systematic disabling of programs one by one as described on the first page of this topic. (Could take weeks to finish, if many repetitions are needed and computer lasts for a day or two each time before crashing.)

Anyways, I noticed that the original post was in '08. Has anyone figured out any more ways to correct this problem in the interim? Any more suggestions? I really hate to spend the money to replace what has been for the last six years or so a perfectly good computer! Thanks for your time.

Rochester1

Rochester1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Update: It did not work.
Virus scan came up empty again.

The topmost error message on my screen says: "The instruction at "0x0042d95f" referenced memory at "0x00000028". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program." (No mention of what "the program" is.)

The error message right underneath says: "The application module C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ccwkrlib.dll cannot be found or has been modified or destroyed. The AVWSC.EXE cannot be tarted. Please check your installation!" (I gather this means whatever is wrong with the computer has caused my antivirus to crash along with several other programs.)

Beneath that is another error that simply says "Phone And modem control panel can not be opened. You may have a problem starting telephony service."

Underneath that is an alert from Skype, which says "Disk I/O error. Right click the Skype icon in the Windows taskbar at the bottom right of your screen and choose Quit. Then restart Skype." (Skype must have been another program to be crashed by this error.)

That is the last visible error box, but my Firefoxes underneath aren't displaying properly nor working right. Much text is missing and even the toolbars don't appear.

When I close them out, the one remaining program running is "Process Explorer", which I had running earlier in the day hoping that I might be able to figure out what crashed. It displays normally, although I can see some of the programs are snown in a different order than they were this afternoon (but I did jut close out Firefox.) But for the missing green "Start" in the lower left and that yellow ! over the battery backup monitor thing in the lower right, it almost looks normal, but nothing will work right until I restart. I'm going to restart it now.

Can anyone offer any advice before I start doing the disabling of programs one by one as described on the first page of this thread?