Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card issues

• Please log in to reply

commanderenergy

commanderenergy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have recently upgraded my graphics card to an xfx 8800gt xxx, and installed it and it runs fine. But, after maybe an hour of play it sometimes crashed and i got an error screen telling me that the driver had stopped working.

So i went onto the website and downloaded the newest drivers i could find, and installed them completely removing the old drivers with driver cleaner pro.

Now when i play sometimes the screen will go all funny, and i might get only a few correct images from the hud, everything else being mainly one colour. So i have to exit whatever im playing and reboot my computer. I get the same problem with a newer set of drivers.

Is this just the drivers? Or could it be my system? My old graphics card (a 6600gt) used to cause my computer to freeze alot, though i was running that with a cheap psu. My onboard graphics ran fine without any issues, could it be my pci express slot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My system is.
MS 7093 with an Athlon 64 3500+
1Gb Mitsubishi RAM
OCZ 600w PSU
200gb Sata Seagate Baracuda
xfx geforce 8800gt xxx

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would check to see if the graphics card is getting too hot in your case. Try running with a open side cover and a floor fan blowing into the case. You could also try speedfan or motherboard monitor to see what the temp sensors in the MB are reading. While they can be notorious for being inaccurate they can be close enough to tell you if there is a heat problem. Those cards do run very hot when pushed by games.

SRX660

commanderenergy

commanderenergy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It does only seem to happen when i push the graphics card. I used ntune to measure the temp of the gpu, and it said it was running at less than 60c under load. And my computer is running with the side of the case off.

I have just updated to the latest directx (for windows xp) and have been playing with the res dropped down and the problem as gone away, but i would like to get to the bottom of it because games don't look as good at lower res.

Thanks for your help.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
This happens with 8800gt's when you push them too hard on overclocking.

Download http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ -atitool and run the Artifact Scanner and see if any artifacts come up. If they do, lower your clock settings until you don't get any artifacts.

make sure you have DX9.0c for XP and DX10.0 for Vista

~~~

What game are you running?