Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

umm Broken Cd drive?

• Please log in to reply

Foxxed

Foxxed

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
:) HALP..

I just got some 700Mb Memorex Cd`s and i put one in both CD drives (:E and :F)

I can put the files i want on dive :E but when i try to write the files it says there is no Cd in drive :E
And when i try to use drive :F it just says there is no CD there

BUT when i use the WPM burner it will only put like 10 songs on one CD :)

PLEASE HELP ME.. i even tried cleaning them both out with Dust busters(or something like that)
:) :)

Advertisements

Kei_Centillion

Kei_Centillion

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
What CD drives do you use? I've used CD drives before that won't detect some cd-rws and dvd drives that won't detect dvd-rs, you'd be suprised it's not rare with the cheaper drives.

I'm no professional, especially with DVD/CD drives. My Super writemaster DVD multi recoder SpeedPlus drive has problems, and it seems to get par or even above average reveiws; my first DVD-RW drive, actually just got it :) It rarely detects DVD-Rs, and spits them out the second you start burning, rendering them 100% useless.

It's hit and miss, I find, with cd/dvd drives and software :/

Edited by Kei_Centillion, 27 March 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I can find Pre-writen disks

but no blank CD`s...its really weird

Oh an i`m using a Sony 52x/32x/52x/16x for :E
and an LG 12x 8x 32x for drive :F

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Ok so i got it to START burning but it wont put any songs on the disk.

It gets to 99% before it even starts the first one and it comes up with a

*Files Cannot be Written to disk, Please in sure the disk is clean and un-damaged.
or try a different brad of disks*

I tried 3 disks...Wont write on a single one
and these are the same brand i`ve always used

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
If you have tried 3 disks and it won't write on any of them and you use these disks all the time then it sounds like the burning part of the writer is on its way out.

You could try some other disks if you can buy 1 or 2 but it sounds like its on its way out.

How long have you had the writer?

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
My vote is the CD`s...since i get the same error for both drives
Error

I`m going to try them in moms laptop in the morning and if they don't work in it, i know its the CD`s

I even tried using I-tunes Still came up with a could not write files to CD
even though the drive was working

Edited by Foxxed, 27 March 2008 - 08:35 PM.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
On i-tunes it unknown error (4261)

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
i vote that its the CDs too... memorex CDs (and even their blank audio tapes for that matter) are crap.... use TDK or Verbatim....

also age of the CDs plays a part... the older the CDR (how long ago did you buy these?) the harder it will be for the drive to recognise/burn them...

...another tip would be to slow the drive down (use 8x or less) when burning these cheap CDs... might get things to work then...

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I put them in moms laptop and they worked fine so i guess my Write is done huh...

IDK i think their like 3 years old.....

Will overclocking screw up CD drives?

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
when you say "overclocking" i assume you mean the CPU yes? if so that can destabalize the entire system... and can cause damage if its not properly cooled.... its always best to run the CPU at its rated speed...

switch things (CPU/RAM/FSB) back to the speed they are -supposed- to run at and try again...

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Im not overclocked now cuz i couldnt ever get a stable setup

I`m just wondering if one,may have screwed something up in the write on the drives

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
since you arent overclocked and since theres no way two drives could go out at exactly the same time the most likely culprit is a software problem... that is if the drives can still read discs that you have burned in the past (not blank) and pressed discs...

but just to be sure check the cables... and if everything is good there try reinstalling the drives in software.... go to the hardware manager and uninstall/remove both drives then reboot and let windows re-detect the drives and try burning again...