Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows desktop is duplicated

• Please log in to reply

threedoves

threedoves

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've run into a problem that I've never seen in Windows XP before. I've been playing (working) on computers for a while and I can usually figure out a solution to a problem. Sure not afraid to try! lol But this is something completely new for me.
I went to uninstall Defender Pro so that I could put the new disk on (subscription was about to expire) and the uninstall failed. Just sat there for 30 minutes.
I had no choice but to cancel, but when I went back, Defender Pro still showed in Add/Remove programs.
I tried a system restore back to the time that I originally installed Defender Pro. Windows confirmed that the recovery was successful, but when the desktop came up EVERYTHING was duplicated!
Task bar items, desktop, programs (the shortcuts in the start menu) and even the control panel icons were duplicated!
The shortcuts on the desktop and start menu I could easily remove, but I'm wondering if the user is actually corrupt. It seems to me that when we did the restore, for some reason the registry was duplicated. Is that possible?
What would happen if I created a new user and copied everything over like it asks? Would it recreate all of the duplicated items? Or just create a correct explorer area (desktop)?
Please help a very frustrated and confused user. :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hello threedoves, welcome to G2G.

Your best bet is to create the new account as you mentioned and see how it looks. If okay then copy over the data you want from the old account, verify all is well then eventually delete the old account.

Follow the directions here to create a new account and copy all your user data over to it:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

threedoves

threedoves

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so very much for your help! I just didn't trust for sure my remedy. I thank you with all my heart, because you are the only one in three groups like this that responded!
I went to the link and printed it and it seems pretty straight forward. Great idea about checking out the account first and then eventually deleting the old one! Didn't think of that!
You have my sincere thanks and respect!!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Glad I could help. Please let me know how you make out.