Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crossover connection

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
so I have a home network, the transfer rate through the gateway/router is 100 Mb/s I want to put a crossover cable between my main computer and my server (http and ftp) to increase the transfer rate between the two(but still have them connected directly to the router/gateway, unless I don't need to) , I have made a crossover cable according to the wikipedia page on them. only problem is when I connect it, windows defaults to it (because it's 10 times faster connection) and I lose my connection to the outside world on both server and computer

in the alternate config on TCP/IP properties I have the fallowing settings for the crossover connection
IP address computer: 192.168.0.2
IP address server: 192.168.0.1
gateway computer:192.168.0.1
gateway server: 192.168.0.2
default submask
and then my ISP's DNS servers are in there.
all other network settings left on default

for the connection to the router/gateway
computer has static IP address 192.168.0.101
server has static ip address 192.168.0.69

computer running vista ultimate 64bit
server running win2003 enterprise R2 64 bit

any ideas?

Edited by pr0n, 27 March 2008 - 05:32 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Changing the cable won't make any difference if the network ports are not Gigabit network ports. If they are limited speed-wise to 100Mbps connection then you can feed it as much cable as you want and it won't go any faster.

Crossover cable is used when data needs to go back and forth, whereas straight cable is essentially one-way traffic. Any relatively recent computer and any relatively recent router/networking device, hub, switch or network port will be able to use straight cable as a crossover cable providing both ends can do it.

If the cable worked before you took it to pieces and re-wired it, it usually means you've wired it up wrong. Wiki probably isn't the best source for something like this because somebody can come along and change the instructions.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
they'd have to change the entire picture and it was the same on many other sites. the cable can be redone the original way in a matter of minutes that's not a biggy. I'll try a regular cable

the network ports on the two motherboards ARE gigabit ports however the router/modem combo is 1/10th of that

Edited by pr0n, 29 March 2008 - 05:49 PM.