Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need a boot cd for virus scan?

• Please log in to reply

out of my league

out of my league

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I need to boot my system from a cd and run an updated malware scan. is there a free boot cd outhere and if so how do I do that

Advertisements

security_goat

security_goat

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I would take a look at BartPE

It allows you to create a Pre Installation environment with a windows CD, this is assuming you have a computer you can run this on to create the cd, you can also include AV and anti malware software when creating this PE Cd.
I am unaware of any pre-made one out there.

Bart PE works great as long as you have a regular, non OEM copy of windows to base it off of.

There are is plenty of help on that site to get you started building your own PE disk.

Good Luck out there!

Security Goat

out of my league

out of my league

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
what is a non oem copy of windows, I have windows xp

out of my league

out of my league

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I looked at the bart pe site I am not sure wich version to dowload, and do i need to do anything special to use this program, any other software, backup files? anything to be careful about?

out of my league

out of my league

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
and when I dowload this does it have a updated virus definition file

security_goat

security_goat

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
An OEM copy of windows is one that ships with a computer, Like Dell sends a Re-install CD for windows, doesn't actually look like a windows CD but it works, Just not for BartPE.

Also download the Self installer, the first one on the list, and I do not recall if it does come with up to date virus definitions or even an Antivirus, it does come with a whole host of program that you can have it include with the PE disk once you have it up and running you can take a look at those..

This is all from memory, I haven't done this in a really long time, but i know you can get extra software, I.E. the Virus scan with up to date definitions and have that included in the PE build process.

Here is the page on the BartPE FAQ that talks about installing your own software with PE, says it can be a bit difficult, creating a plugin, they also offer a search option to look for pre built plugins for it

BartPE FAQ

Good luck, and let me knwo if you have nay more questions :)

Security Goat

out of my league

out of my league

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
when i run the boot disk is it important to back up my computer first

security_goat

security_goat

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Many Anti malware / anti virus programs will allow you to back up things that they are changing before completely removing them.
Its just a malware scan.... but they have known to have negative side effects if you do not know what you are doing.
And As I am unqualified to give you advice on removing malware you may want to post a topic in the Malware removal forums.
Perhaps link them back to this topic for reference on what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

Security Goat

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you explain what you are trying to achieve? What is the problem with the computer? How do you know there is malware involved?

Is the computer bootable? If yes, post in the malware forum after taking the necessary preliminary steps (you can use the link in my list of links below).

If not, you may connect the disk as slave to another computer and use the other computer's antimalware programs to scan the disk.

On the whole, describe the problem in some detail and we'll try to help.

out of my league

out of my league

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i did post the issue in the malware forum but recieved no reply, so I wanted to try and figure it out. someone told me it i might need to do a scan during boot. Several times lately my computer screen goes blue and says it must shut down to prevent damage. when it restarts a post comes up saying something along the lines of recovered from an error. spy bot search and destroy keeps asking me to approve registry changes every time my computer starts up. programs take forever to open, but once they do they run fine. every time i open fire fox for the first time it says session cant open but the second time it always works fine. Windows task manager says system idle is using cpu but i hear that is normal along with this it takes forever to start up and shut down. I have a toshiba qosmio G15R updated to 2 gigs of Ram which i only am using about 20% of, also my memory is almost untouched and all my updated virus and malware scans are coming up clean. onecare, spybot, malewaREBYTES. I have defragmented my drives, cleaned my registry and so on I also posted a hijack this over a week ago on the malware forum with no reply, i posted an updated one yesterday with new problems and have also yet to receive a reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The malware forum is the one dealing with these kind of problems in G2G. Please repost and be patient. They are very busy there. Use the link to the malware forum in my list below, take all the preliminary steps and if still have the problem post a HJT log.

out of my league

out of my league

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks