Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using a laptop power adapter for a flat screen monitor?

• Please log in to reply

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your help in advance. I received a monitor from a friend who claimed it didn't work. I said okay and left it there for a couple of months. I found it a few days ago and I found out what the problem is: it was the power cord.

I went on a little excursion through my electronic and computer equipment to find that I did have an adapter that would work: a Toshiba power adapter. Let me give you the specs of each.

Toshiba Laptop Power Adapter
(I will skip the input specs.)
OUTPUT:
19V
3.42A
LPS

Microtek 815C Flat Panel Display Monitor
19Vdc
3A

Are these compatible? Will anything happen to the monitor or the adapter? Will my house catch on fire?

Thanks so much!
Paul

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I downloaded the manual for the monitor and it really does not say much about the adapter other than you can buy a replacement from them. I would think that since the monitor takes a 19 volt 3 amp adapter, the toshiba adapter should work fine. A very slightly higher voltage should not hurt at all.

There are laptop power adapter's that work in a range of voltages and they seem to work on many different laptops so i think varible amps does not hurt anything. As a side note i have several Toshiba laptops and have used power bricks of different amps on all of them with no problems i can see. The amps vary from 1.8 to 3 on the power bricks, and they all use the exact same plug-in cord.

SRX660

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

I downloaded the manual for the monitor and it really does not say much about the adapter other than you can buy a replacement from them. I would think that since the monitor takes a 19 volt 3 amp adapter, the toshiba adapter should work fine. A very slightly higher voltage should not hurt at all.

There are laptop power adapter's that work in a range of voltages and they seem to work on many different laptops so i think varible amps does not hurt anything. As a side note i have several Toshiba laptops and have used power bricks of different amps on all of them with no problems i can see. The amps vary from 1.8 to 3 on the power bricks, and they all use the exact same plug-in cord.

SRX660

Thanks for your reply! The only thing I have noticed (can't tell if it is the original) is that the AC cord is 7A, while the adapter's input only wants 1.5A, is this okay?

Thanks again,
Paul

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Theres a lot more amps on any AC line than 7 amps. The circuit breakers are rated at uaually 20 amps before they kick out. The thing is the power brick will take exactly what power it needs to output its rated amps. The rest is just excess that it does not use.

SRX660

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Theres a lot more amps on any AC line than 7 amps. The circuit breakers are rated at uaually 20 amps before they kick out. The thing is the power brick will take exactly what power it needs to output its rated amps. The rest is just excess that it does not use.

SRX660

Okay, thanks!

The adapter seems to get a bit hot, it did that though when I had it plugged in to the laptop. It even has a warning that it may become hot right on the adapter. I am assuming this is okay, correct?

Paul

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, most of my laptops have power bricks that become very warm to touch when running the laptops. Only one that does not is my old Toshiba Portage 660CDT and thats because its only a pentium 150 CPU and doesnt use much power. Some of my laptops will spark when connecting to the power brick so i hook the brick to the laptop then plug in the power cord to the brick. I do this so i may be able to stop any problems with the spark shorting out the laptops connection. This is on both my latest laptops.

SRX660

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Yes, most of my laptops have power bricks that become very warm to touch when running the laptops. Only one that does not is my old Toshiba Portage 660CDT and thats because its only a pentium 150 CPU and doesnt use much power. Some of my laptops will spark when connecting to the power brick so i hook the brick to the laptop then plug in the power cord to the brick. I do this so i may be able to stop any problems with the spark shorting out the laptops connection. This is on both my latest laptops.

SRX660

Okay, thanks so much for your help!