Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Im interested in building a new computer. My current computer I built 4 years ago and is barely above the min. specs for the new high intensity games coming out. I built before dual core was popular and havent learned much about dual or quad core CPU's and never really knew how to pick out a good motherboard, just knew the CPU socket had to be the same basically.
I dont do hard core gaming but i do play some games with friends on occasion and we are looking at playing the new age of conan and hopefully starcraft 2 if it ever comes out. I dont care about running on high specs in game and stuff as long as I can play without lag every couple minutes, but i also want to try to make it last as long as possible for the money. The way RAM keeps coming out as fast as it does, I hear there is DDR4 by rumor already and i have regular DDR right now, i want a motherboard and processor that will last a while before becoming too obsolete. But I will probably stick with DDR2 RAM since its so cheap, just not sure if i should get a 4 GB or 8 GB slots. my main concerns are motherboard, CPU, and video card.

Im thinking of getting this CPU http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115017 ...... Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail
but not sure what kinda motherboard to go with it. Not sure what the PCI EXPRESS x16 and all that stuff means I will probably never put 2 video cards in this at the same time so not sure if that matters. I will probably be getting a top of the line video card though. I also was hoping to find a board that had a good audio onset for my surround sound speakers but thats not that important, can always buy a sound card. Im just looking for suggestions on a good name brand board, Ive always used Asus or Abit before, that will run cool with this processor. Also if you have any tips on a better CPU please let me hear what and why. Not looking to spend much more than 250 for a CPU and around 165 for a board.
Thanks for any advice given

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Just wondering if you'd like to give us a list of the components you intend to use for this build? I'd be interested. :) Plus we might be able to help you find some better deals, or a better component for the money. :)

If you like Abit then this would be a good choice for a motherboard.

This Gigabyte motherboard would also be a good choice - both boards are similar price and performance.

These boards support DDR2 RAM, which just cannot be beat for price/performance at the moment. Grab yourself a good 2GB or 4GB kit and it should last you a while. Either way, no matter what you get, it will be obsolete in a few years anyway - such is technology. :)

Don't forget, while these motherboards have a PCI-Express x16 graphics card slot, these are compatible with PCI-Express 2.0 cards (the newer ones out), and perform very well. :)

I would be happy to recommend either of them. If you have a look, though, the Abit is advertising a rebate - so if you can make use of that, you're laughing! These motherboards will give you excellent performance with the Q6600, comparable to more expensive boards - but they may not have as many features as some of the more expensive boards (i.e. no onboard wi-fi, not as many SATA ports or RAID capabilities etc...).

Cheers

Troy