Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMV videos were converted to AVI

• Please log in to reply

Naraly

Naraly

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

I don't know what happened. I always uploaded my videos from my Samsung Digimax U-CA 5 digital camera to my computer, and they worked just fine, they were always WMV. So I could edit them in a movie maker program, but now all of the sudden every video on my computer that i uploaded from my camera is AVI, even the old ones that used to be WMV. I can still view them in the Windows Media Player, but if i try to use any other program it just reads them as AVI and there is only sound. So I can't use the video editor program anymore because it just gives me audio.. Is there something I can do? Change a setting?? I know there's video converters I can download, but that means every time i upload a video from my camera it's going to be AVI..?

Advertisements

ample2008

ample2008

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I think there must be something wrong with your settings in your camera, you can try to check in your camera instruction or the user's guide, there must be something which will be helpful to solve this problem.you also can use some software to convert the format of the upload .

Edited by ample2008, 29 March 2008 - 07:50 AM.

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Are you saying that your old camera videos which were on your pc for a longgggg time suddenly turned into avi's?

Naraly

Naraly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yess... well i've been thinking that maaybe they were always AVI.. I just didn't notice, but before they used to work, and now they don't.. I can watch them on Windows Media Player after I have put them on my computer from my camera.. but if i try to edit them by opening them in a Movie Maker program, it just shows up black and there is only sound from the video. And if i try to send a video clip that i put on my computer from the camera to another computer, when i open it in the other computer with Windows Media Player, it's just sound. :)

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Wow check your camera settings to make sure you don't have some sort of video "protection" enabled. If your not sure that your cam has that don't worry as it shouldn't really have it in the first place. I'd like you to download something and install it just to test out this problem so I can diagnose it further. It's a video software program used to watch any video file. It's only 10mb in size and you can uninstall it later:

http://www.download....cdlPid=10827225

Install that and try to watch one of the videos that doesn't work... Let me know if it plays. I'm suspecting it could be a codec problem. Anyways try it with that!

Naraly

Naraly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I I don't have problems watching the videos on my computer.. I checked the codecs and its all fine.. It's just when I try to edit them in Movie Maker.. when i preview it with THAT program, its just sound.. I checked online to see if anyone with the same camera as me had this problem, and it seems like my camera only does AVI videos, and that's the thing, they used to work before..

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well there's no way you can fix Windows Movie Maker without doing a complete reinstall of Windows. & I know you wouldn't want to do that! Or would you? In any case WMM is a simple program... You've probably used it so much it got buggy. I suggest that you use another movie software suite that's made to support many video files and be simple/easy to use. Try out Sony Vegas:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sony_Vegas

Edited by superstar, 08 May 2008 - 05:08 PM.

runny21

runny21

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

please check if there is any software in your system which is converting the file extension. Do a small test , change the file extension of any one video to .wmv and reboot the system, if the file extension gets converted back to .avi again , then it is a sign of a malware called as media control. Update the post will let you know what to do next?

Thanks,

R

Subodh Vinzanekar

Subodh Vinzanekar

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I think its your Windows Movie Maker Problem. I too face this problem. Does it everytimes only plays sound? or atleast in the beginning it shows the video and after few seconds turns to black screen? if it is so, then its ur WMM problem because i m suffering the same problem. The only solution is to Reinstall Windows. But i usually close WMM and start it again.