Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NEw Hard Disk Problem

• Please log in to reply

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processar with ASUS M2V TVM motherboard. recently i purchased new WD Hard Disk SATA 320GB( i alrwady have WD 160GB ) THe problem is that when i pluged new HDD and boot my computer after 5 to 10 mins my new HDD's partitions removed and when i plugged and unplugged SATA cable of new HDD and boot again. Partitions of new HDD are visible for 5 to10 again

Then i removed my older HDD and tired to install XP on new HDD same problem i faced

is there anyone can help me to solve this problem?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would not bother with this and just replace the drive. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for a GOOD drive. Very abnormal activity for a HD. Perhaps weak electronics.

SRX660

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I would not bother with this and just replace the drive. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for a GOOD drive. Very abnormal activity for a HD. Perhaps weak electronics.

SRX660

This my second HDD before this i had Seagate 320GB but same problem occurred.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In that case i would think that either the battery on the motherboard is weak and you are losing the bios settings every time the computer is shut off, or windows has a corrupt file in the system. The motherboard you can try replacing the cmos battery on it and if that does not cure it you may need to think about replacing the motherboard.

If its windows then a clean install may cure the problem. You have not said that is has been happening from the very beginning. I doubt that it's windows because you say the same thing is happening with 2 installs of XP.

There is a off chance that both HD's could have problems. I would also go to the Asus website and check to see if anyone else complains about the same thing. Also see if there are newer SATA drivers you can install.

SRX660

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

In that case i would think that either the battery on the motherboard is weak and you are losing the bios settings every time the computer is shut off, or windows has a corrupt file in the system. The motherboard you can try replacing the cmos battery on it and if that does not cure it you may need to think about replacing the motherboard.

If its windows then a clean install may cure the problem. You have not said that is has been happening from the very beginning. I doubt that it's windows because you say the same thing is happening with 2 installs of XP.

There is a off chance that both HD's could have problems. I would also go to the Asus website and check to see if anyone else complains about the same thing. Also see if there are newer SATA drivers you can install.

SRX660

could it be BIOS problem?
i have installed windows xp many times on my older HDD it worked fine.but when i tried to install windows xp on new HDD and unplugged older HDD same problem occurred.

muhammad jamil

muhammad jamil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i change third HDD same problem occurred.

my motherboard spec. shows it supports "SATA 1.5 Gb/s" but my new HDD has SATA 3.0 Gb/s

more detail:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131036

also i want to change my motherboard pls suggest me a new board ranges upto $150 with latest chipset

Edited by muhammad jamil, 14 April 2008 - 01:34 AM.