Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cookies

• Please log in to reply

kaimuki

kaimuki

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I have a 4 month old Dell 530 with Windows XP SP2. Yesterday the cookies in the temporary internet files have disappeared from the list...only the images, script, etc. are shown. I can find the cookies in the in the Cookies folder in Document and Settings, old and new, but some how are now hidden in temp internet files.

In internet options/advanced I have "empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed" checked. Which, by the way, seems to have stopped working, too. Nothing unusual, that I can recall, happened yesterday.

Any suggestions as to how I can return this back to normal?

Thank you for your help.

Kaimuki

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Do you have IE7 installed?

If so try this:

Click on Tools, select Internet options.

Select the Advanced tab.

Click the Reset button.

You may want to read this before doing this proceedure: http://blogs.msdn.co.../12/628499.aspx

I had a problem with Outlook Express where there was a delay opening the first email in the Inbox. After much problem solving and hair pulling I finally hit the reset button (thought things might self destruct), OE6 problem fixed.

Not saying this will cure your problem but it may be worth a shot.

kaimuki

kaimuki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you, Kniht. I am using IE6. I've been a little leery to switch to IE7. But, what happened is everything is back to normal with temp internet files. Went back to check a little while ago to see if I missed any options to correct the problem. And there they were! Again, I don't know what happened to make it right.

A friend of mine has been jokingly (I think) saying I have bad vibes when it comes to computers because of all the weird and unusual problems I've encountered thru the years. With this new pc, Windows crashed about 2 months ago and just had my optical drive replaced a couple of days ago.

Thank you again,

Kaimuki

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

A friend of mine has been jokingly (I think) saying I have bad vibes when it comes to computers because of all the weird and unusual problems I've encountered thru the years.

Kaimuki

Here's a new twist on what your friend says. Look at it not as bad vibes but a blessing. Because you have these weird and unusual problems and seem to be able to solve them, you will be able to help us folks in the future that just can't figure out what the heck is going on with our systems! :)

Glad you were able to solve the problem. :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
kaimuki, the Temporary Internet Files folder is exactly that, a folder to hold temporary files. You should never, ever depend on anything being there that you need. As a matter of fact, you should be cleaning that folder out regularly as it can accumulate a lot of junk over time which causes other strange problems, especially with IE.

IE6 provides an easy to use mechanism for this. Click on Tools then Internet Options. Click on the Delete Files button, check "Delete all off line files" and click OK.

kaimuki

kaimuki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you ZTruker for your response. I do clean out my temporary internet files daily. I checked the option to empty the files in this folder whenever I close my browser (IE6)...Internet Options/Advanced. It's the cookies that I want to selectively delete. Thanks to Kniht, I'm now using Cookie Monster rather than going into the temporary internet files and getting rid of the unwanted cookies with one click. In fact, previously, I made a shortcut in My Computer so I wouldn't have to go thru the whole path to get to the temporary internet files folder.

The problem was the cookies disappeared, but have mysteriously reappeared.

A related question about temporary internet files folder. I can't remember how I originally got to this folder. I don't
have the local service folder under username, which is part of the complete path to temp inter files. Do you know how to make it viewable?

Thank you for your help.

Kaimuki

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have Show Hidden Files checked in Folder Options?

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)

kaimuki

kaimuki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello ZTruker,

Thanks for the info. I can now get to the temp internet files folder. With the cookie management utility, I don't really need to open this folder anymore. But, it's something I wanted to learn.

Thank you for the instructions.

Kaimuki