Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2007 autocomplete not working

• Please log in to reply

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
My computer runs Windows XP Home and Office 2007, including Outlook 2007. In Outlook, the autocomplete function empties every time Outlook is shut down; i.e every time it's restarted, it doesn't "remember" any addresses when filling the "To" field.
The most common solution I could find suggested that the nk2 file that stores the addresses was corrupted, and that we should shut down Outlook, find the nk2 file; rename it; then open Outlook and hopefully it would create a new nk2 file that wasn't corrupted and would "remember" entries.
The trouble is, there is no nk2 file at all. I've run a search of the entire C drive and it finds no file with the nk2 extension. I've also made sure that the autocomplete function is turned on in the Outlook settings.
Can anyone help? Would a reinstallation of Office 2007 solve the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Diego8, 28 March 2008 - 04:17 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Outlook.nk2 may be a hidden or system file, so unless the 'Search' tool is configured to include these types of files, it won't be found even when it exists.

First ensure the autocomplete feature is enabled in Outlook. Close Outlook.

Open the 'Search' tool and click "All files and Folders".

Click "More Advanced Options" and tick all three search options which are in bold type.

Now type outlook.nk2 in the top search bar.

When found, right-click->delete.

Close the 'Search' tool.

Re-open Outlook.

Edited by pip22, 29 March 2008 - 06:54 AM.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I have checked that autocomplete is enabled in Outlook and that hidden or system files are being shown. I've run a search again for outlook.nk2 and it didn't find that file. Googling a little bit i found that the path of the nk2 file is C:\Document & Settings\%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. I explored that folder and confirmed that the nk2 file does not exists.
I have also tryed copying the outlook.nk2 file from another computer (Outlook's autocomplete works fine in it) but it didn't work.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Finally i could solve the problem but i had to take extreme measures. I uninstalled Microsoft Office and installed it again. Now Outlook's autocomplete is working fine.