Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply

joshuagor44

joshuagor44

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm having huge problems with connecting to the internet. I don't even exactly know what's causing these problems, or how to explain my situation, but I'll give as much detail as I can.

Right now my network is set up with a cable modem and a wired D-Link router. I have two computers connected to the router (this one running XP and my laptop running Vista). When everything is set up as it should be, the desktop says that the local area connection is connected and all that but I'm not actually connected to the internet. On my laptop, when I go to the network and sharing center, it says that my access is Local only. For some reason, my modem has a USB port and there was a cable connecting it to this computer. In my Network Connections, I have Local Area Connection 4 and Local Area Connection 5. I'm pretty sure 4 corresponds to the ethernet connection or something and 5 is the USB one that goes directly into my modem. When I disable 4 with only 5 connected, the internet works on this computer. I tried connecting my laptop and this computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable, but that didn't work. So it seems the only way I can get the internet working for a computer, is if I connect it directly to the modem using that USB cable (though I can't do it with my laptop because it doesn't have the proper drivers).

If there's anything that's unclear, please tell me so I can clarify. It's very important that I get this working ASAP!

Also, when I tried connecting my 360 to my router, I could not get offline and when I did the connection test, it failed at the DNS step. When I tried to repair the connection on my laptop, I remember getting a message about that one time but I don't remember exactly what it was.

Thank you if you can help me, GeeksToGo hasn't failed me yet!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

joshuagor44

joshuagor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Wow that worked! I tried unplugging my modem and router a billion times but it looks like all I needed to do was turn off my laptop too! What's kind of confusing is how the desktop's internet is working and I didn't turn it off :S But I did have the ethernet cable unplugged and plugged it back in when everything was reset... though I did that with my laptop earlier and it didn't fix it. Oh well :) Thank you so much!

What's that USB cable for by the way? I have it unplugged right now so it doesn't seem to be neccessary.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...
glad you got it working... :)

What's that USB cable for by the way?

I have no idea...

I tried unplugging my modem and router a billion times

you have to power them up in the proper order