Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

• Please log in to reply

impega

impega

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Right, firstly, my PC is malaware free, thanks to andrewuk walking me through a cleanup.

My PC is just about high-spec (2.2ghz dual core, 2gb ram, everything was bought less than a year ago) so crashing on things like browsing files is ridiculous right?

Posted Image

It usually happens when I open a file. Funny thing is, if I just move the popup out the way, explorer works fine. If I click "Don't send" it resets.

I have a suspicion now that it's to do with my Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0, partly because I get the option to "debug" which opens in C++, partly because VB keeps gettingt the same error, but also, I tried to uninstall it just now, and I got an error saying a file was missing, and it would't make any progress. I reinstalled it, but to a new loation, which means the old one would (if it was) still be messing stuff up?

...Also my mp3 player isnt being picked up after I installed WMP 11 =P

I'm running Windows XP SP3

I'd be grateful of any help in sorting this annoying thing =P

Thanks

Edit:

Also, I've defragged, ran CHKDSK and ran System File Checker, but to no avail =(

Edited by impega, 28 March 2008 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Have you checked the Event Viewer and any errors therein related to explorer.exe?

Start>>Run

In Run type "eventvwr.msc" without the quotes, click OK

Check both 'System' and 'Application'

Double click on the error to open properties, take note of the Event ID and description.

If you want to post the error info., while in error properties click on the clipboard button (located below the directional arrows, looks like two sheets of paper).

Open notepad or some other text editor. In the blank area right click and select "Paste".

In notepad under "Edit" select "Select All" then "Copy". Come back to this thread and in the reply box right click and select paste.

impega

impega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
In both system and applications, all the logs are from a few weeks ago (and this error happens all the time) and I couldn't find anything relative in the other sections.

I just went through the "How to repair windows XP" sticky (sorry I didn't do it before posting this topic...) and a few things happened. Firstly, on the first startup I did, I got an error saying something like "msoobe.exe application error: Instalation of 0x7e1e381c refrenced memory at 0x00000000 could not be "written"". The other thing was, I had to uninstall and reinstall AVG because it had some problem with its licence, and when it was uninstalled, I got the windows bubble popup saying warning kaspersky has been turned off. I thought I got rid of kaspersky ages ago! This was worrying since isn't it like a huge sin to have more than one antivirus on your PC? AVG also warned me there was another one on when I installed it.

Btw I still get exlorer crashes after the repair =P

impega

impega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry I know your not supposed to bump but it's been a week so I thought I'd just do a little one =P

impega

impega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
AAAH FFS must be bad karma for bumping because now I'm getting this [bleep] error ALL THE TIME on all sorts of programs ><

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
There's a few things we can try. Lets start with a chkdsk.

Boot to windows CD - press R to enter to Recovery console. Select OS (usually 1) Enter Administrators password.

At the command prompt type the following: chkdsk /f /r

After this has completed, post back if your still getting the errors.

impega

impega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok tried a CHKDSK and it got stuck at stage 2, scanning Indexes, at 0% (I left it for a good while).

Also I'm not getting plenty of: "the instruction at" "referenced memory at" "the memory could not be "read" with various numbers and ltters in between =S

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok Lets try a manual restore follow the instructions below. If you have any problems let me know.

This fix will only work if you had system restore enabled before the problems started. You will have to do a Repair Installation if you had disabled system restore. See link at end.

Get your computer to boot from cd and then boot from your xp disk.
1. Press R for "to repair a windows installation using Recovery Console"
2. Type in number for windows installation you want to log onto - is usually 1 > press enter
3. Enter the administrator password.
4. Change to configuration folder type: cd c:\system32\config
5. Backup your configuration by typing the following to rename the files: (don't type the word "type" or : press enter after each
type: ren default default.bak
type: ren sam sam.bak
type: ren system system.bak
type: ren software software.bak
type: ren security security.bak

6. Type cd\ or c:\
7. Type cd "system volume information" (you must include punctuation marks)
8. Type DIR
9. Change the directory into the restore folder that will have a long name similar to the to the following:_restore{987E0331-0f01-427.......
Type cd _restore{987E0331-0f01-427......} (don't forget the space in between the cd and the underscore)
10. Type DIR
11. Select the rp directory with the latest date before you had problems- e.g. rp214
Type cd rp214
12. Type cd snapshot
13. Copy and rename the files to the system32/config folder by typing the following:
type: copy _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT c:\windows\system32\config\default
type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM c:\windows\system32\config\sam
type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY c:\windows\system32\config\security
type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE c:\windows\system32\config\software
type: copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM c:\windows\system32\config\system
14. Type EXIT

If you do not have access to "system volume information" then from step 6 do the following:

7. cd c:\windows\repair

8. Copy and rename the files to the system32/config folder by typing the following:
type: copy DEFAULT c:\windows\system32\config\default
type: copy SAM c:\windows\system32\config\sam
type: copy SECURITY c:\windows\system32\config\security
type: copy SOFTWARE c:\windows\system32\config\software
type: copy SYSTEM c:\windows\system32\config\system

If you had to do the windows repair thing post back because we will have to do a few more things even though your computer now starts.

One other thing did this start before or after you removed the malware.

Edited by what_the, 02 April 2008 - 04:55 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you start having problems right after installing XP SP3...try uninstalling SP3...its still beta and buggy ...