Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duo or Quad? ddr2 or ddr3?

• Please log in to reply

jkohm

jkohm

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I plan to build my first computer. I'm retired and have tons of photos and video to organize for the grand kids. I'm not interested in gaming and will install vista (home premium?). I will do a lot of video editing and rendering while surfing the web, working with excel, media player etc and eventually media center. I'm not limited by a budget but not interested in wasting $. If spending a little more will provide a noticeable improvement I'll do it

I'll use the Asus p5e3 deluxe MB. Either the Intel Q9450, Q9300, or E8400. Would a slower Quad be more reliable and productive than the faster dual (assuming the video software uses the multi processors). Would the extra L2 cache in the Q9450 provide noticeable improvement Over the Q9300.

How much and how fast a memory can I use. Would the premium for DDR3 or faster DDR2 provide noticeable improvement over PC 6500 DDR2.

Would a 10,000 rpm HD for OS be advisable. Suggestions on a graphics card and video hardware would be appreciated. I'm not interested in the latest and greatest or skimping. I want the best bang for my buck and something that will last. TIA, JMK

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Would a slower Quad be more reliable and productive than the faster dual

Everything depends on what you use the computer for, what video editing software do you plan on using? Also, while the Q6600 is "older" technology, you won't notice a difference between it and the Q9300. Generally speaking, I'd suggest a quad over a dual core processor.

How much and how fast a memory can I use. Would the premium for DDR3 or faster DDR2 provide noticeable improvement over PC 6500 DDR2.

You won't notice a difference by changing the RAM speed, I suggest PC2-5300 or PC2-6400, PC2-5300 will save you a few dollars and you won't notice a difference in performance.

Would a 10,000 rpm HD for OS be advisable.

No, the raptors are a waste of money.

Suggestions on a graphics card and video hardware would be appreciated.

Considering you're not interested in gaming, any sub 100$ card will be sufficient for your needs.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 March 2008 - 01:22 AM.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I agree with everything stated above. Especially with the Raptors being a waste of money!! If u are gonna do a ton of video editing maybe a descent video card might suite u well. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130364. This is a pretty good video card, it will do everthing u need it to do. Also the more RAM u have the better, it really isnt the DDR2 or DDR3. The computer will be able to load programs faster if u have more memory so the more memory, the more programs start up quicker and run smoother. Good luck! :)