Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card related problem

• Please log in to reply

Air_Chester

Air_Chester

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, here's the story. I'm running XP Black, which is just XP all modded up to look like Vista and run Vista apps, but essentially it's still just XP.

I made the mistake of messing with what I think is my video card/display properties when trying to find the right settings for something, and now my computer won't boot properly.

I'll make it easier to understand...

What I did...

- Clicked the desktop and clicked Properties.

- Clicked the "Settings" tab and chose "Advanced".

- Chose the "Adapter" tab and clicked the "Properties" button under "Adapter Type".

- From there, I *think* I clicked the Driver or Resources tab, and there was a bar selected, and next to it were two buttons, "Start" and "Stop".

- I made the mistake of clicking stop. It began stopping what I assume was the video card, then a box came up saying it couldn't complete the change. Evidentally it did though.

What happened...

- When I turned on the computer next, it loaded all fine, everything was working, but when it reaches the XP Welcome Screen, all I get is blackness.

- I can log in and hear it doing so, but the screen will not show up.

Now, I don't know how to fix it. The XP I'm using won't boot in Safe Mode. I put another hard drive in the computer, and had no trouble using that one. It's just that particular hard drive using that XP OS, and I'm not sure how I can fix the setting to get the screen to work again.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

I can't see any 'Start' or 'Stop' buttons anywhere under the 'Adaptor' tab following the same steps you have given above, so maybe it's specific to your particular video card.

Anyway, have you tried bringing up the 'Advanced Startup Options' menu (F8, same as for safe mode) and selecting "Last known good configuration"?

It isn't wise to go clicking on things like 'Start' & 'Stop' when you don't know what effect it will have. Find out beforehand!

Air_Chester

Air_Chester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Welcome to Geeks2Go!

I can't see any 'Start' or 'Stop' buttons anywhere under the 'Adaptor' tab following the same steps you have given above, so maybe it's specific to your particular video card.

Anyway, have you tried bringing up the 'Advanced Startup Options' menu (F8, same as for safe mode) and selecting "Last known good configuration"?

It isn't wise to go clicking on things like 'Start' & 'Stop' when you don't know what effect it will have. Find out beforehand!

lol I was half asleep when I was messing with it, and I regret very much pressing Stop. I can't actually figure out why I did it, really.

I've tried Last Known Good Config, but the problem remains. The computer loads fine, I just can't see, so I'm assuming because it's still able to load, the configuration is seen as fine by XP.

I'm going to keep on trying though, and thanks for the reply, much appreciated.