Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

:( i need mayjor help! :(

• Please log in to reply

moopoo32

moopoo32

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey geeks,

I'm usually a mac user so I'm not really used to the over complexity of a windows machine and I'm not really used to doing anything other then edit film so bare with my 'n00b speak' please.

Ok, so my service provider suspended my internet until i had formatted my windows hard drive because i had a virus on there that was sending out bulk spam mail, apparently i was part of a 'botnet' and didn't realize it.

anyways, i used my mac to format the HD and put it back in my windows machine along with the Windows XP install CD. however it only boots from the CD when the HD is not in the machine. what does it expect me to install it onto?

any help will be much appreciated

thank you

Emma

xxx

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What is the boot order in your bios?

With no hard drive, the only boot device is your CD.

Restart your computer with the hard drive attached. Watch your screen for "To enter bios hit" to show on the screen. Tap that key slowly till the bios comes up. Look for the boot order, change it to cd first. Save and exit and restart.
Make sure the CD is in the drive.

Typical keys are "F1, F2, F5, esc, F10

moopoo32

moopoo32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply! :)

is that under CMOS or BIOS sequencey?

CMOS gives me:

Primary IDE master
Primarry IDE slave
secondary IDE master
secondary IDE slave

all of which i can change to disabled, 0-46, CD/DVD, auto or ARMD,

boot sequencey gives me:

boot 1st
boot 2nd
boot 3rd

all of which i can change to either disabled, LEGACY network or BBS-0(network):intel UNDI, PX E 2.0 (build 082

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
boot sequence gives me:

boot 1st
boot 2nd
boot 3rd

Make sure your 1st boot device is set to CD. As you reboot the computer it will ask to boot from CD (I do not recall the exact message). If you miss it will continue to try to boot the hard drive and since there is no OS, it will error out.

moopoo32

moopoo32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
theres no option for CD in that menu :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Theres an option somewhere.
What is the make and model of your computer?
Is it homebuilt or factory? such as Dell, HP?
Do you know the manufacturer of the main board?

I am looking for info so I can try and find the manual. If you have a manual, you could look also.

moopoo32

moopoo32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its a TIME pc, dunno anything else. its got a load of numbers on that back witch ive googled and found nothing.

ok i feel like your display pic now lol.

i just realized i didnt have the little black thing on the prongs of the HD to make it master. i just put i on but now when i turn on the computer it says:

checking NV RAM...update OK

then wont do anything else.

Edited by moopoo32, 29 March 2008 - 12:51 PM.