Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

worm.win32netbooster[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Don't worry about it Jill, it is probably an error with Kaspersky. It happens sometimes.

OK, lets go about this a different way,

Download the HostsXpert 4.2 - Hosts File Manager.
  • Unzip HostsXpert 4.2 - Hosts File Manager to a convenient folder such as C:\HostsXpert 4.2 - Hosts File Manager
  • Run HostsXpert 4.2 - Hosts File Manager from its new home
  • Click on "File Handling".
  • Click on "Restore MS Hosts File".
  • Click OK on the Confirmation box.
  • Now lets import a custom hosts file to block unwanted sites:
    • Right click Here and save hosts.txt to your Desktop
    • In HostsXpert 4.2 click Import Options
    • Click Replace Hosts File
    • In the Select File dialog, navigate to your Desktop and choose hosts.txt
    • Click the Open button
    • Click OK to Replace Your Hosts File
  • Click on "Make Read Only?"
  • Click the X to exit the program.
  • Note: If you were using a custom Hosts file you will need to replace any of those entries yourself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Download OTScanIt.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named OTScanIt on your desktop.
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Open the OTScanIt folder and double-click on OTScanIt.exe to start the program.
  • Check the box that says Scan All User Accounts
  • Check the box that says Include MD5
  • Check the Radio buttons for Files/Folders Created Within 90 Days and Files/Folders Modified Within 90 Days
  • Check the radio button under Rootkit Search for Yes
  • Under Additional Scans check the following:
    • Reg - Desktop Components
    • Reg - Uninstall List
    • File - Additional Folder Scans
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.

Please attach the log in your next post.

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

Regards,
RatHat

Advertisements

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
when the hostsxpert.zip download window is open, do i open or save it right away? this is the step i missed last time with hijack-this. just want to be sure.

do i save it and select to my computer, and then drop the file to the C: drive and then rename it to hostsXpert 4.2 - hosts file manager. then when that is done double click the new file when i find it and run it from there? ... i am trying to think this through...
-jill

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 06:15 PM.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Save it to your desktop Jill. This goes for anything I ask you to download. Later when it's time to clean up, we will be able to find everything and delete it.

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
....so when i run it from its new home, the new home is the desktop file.
sorry RatHat for all this trouble, but i will have missed a step if i run it from desk top..."unzip to a convenient folder such as C:.HostsXpert 4.2 - Hosts File Manager (and run it from its new home.) it would be much simplier if i had a mind like you.

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 06:25 PM.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
No this one is an install file, and it's something I want you to keep when we have your computer clean.

I only need you to download the initial files to your desktop, not run them from the web. What happens then is that your browser will download the file to a temporary directory, then run the program from there. This can lead to errors.

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
okay so it is on my desktop, this file with a zipper, and the name is HostsXpert. i am a little nervous now... i don't think i unzipped anything to any convenient folder..i haven't run anything from its new home...

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 06:32 PM.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Unzip it now, and go by the instructions above. Then download OTScanIt and run that one for me, OK.

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
k
unzip=extract?

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 06:33 PM.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
You've got it Jill :)

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
i unzipped it...renamed it C:.HostsXpert 4.2 - Hosts File Manager. (note: I noticed a check mark in a small box to show something, i forget what it was.)
I proceeded forward after renaming the the file and clicked finish.
a window with the file name i just made appeared. inside that window is a folder called HostsXpert (inside that folder is HostsXpertchm & HostsXpert.exe) is this where i run it from? i did not click on anything called "File Handling" yet. don't want to make any mistakes..

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 06:51 PM.

Advertisements

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Yes, you are doing good Jill. Double click on HostsXpert.exe to run the program.

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
i am at "lets import a custom hosts file to block unwanted sites. i right clicked to save hosts.txt to the desktop but don't see that option. would that be "save target as" ?

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 06:59 PM.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Yes, use that :)

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
saved to desktop.
where would the hostsXpert 4.2 fiile be so ii can click on import options? (sorryyy) The 4.2 throws me... never mind...found it :)

how about this...how do i navigate to my desktop from the select file dialog?

found it...i am being called a noob.. ...

am on my way to otscanit.exe

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 07:17 PM.

jillsusan

jillsusan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
RatHat, you say to double-click on the OTScanItfolder...to start the program... i opened it and the window zipcentral self extracting archive (freeware) opened with two files inside..
otscanit/catchme.exe
otscanit/otscanit.exe
how can i double click on one if they are both highlighted? also, there is a bullet in an existing file "confirm overwrite"

i just closed out of that archive folder. it didn't seem right....

update: i went back and was able to save it to the desktop. i double clicked on it and that same archive folder/file or window opened. there are two files highlighted together...how can i click on one with the other there highlighted with it? just do it?

Edited by jillsusan, 02 April 2008 - 07:28 PM.