Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

morganlassiter

morganlassiter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, just bought a computer at a garage sale, with windows XP. I cant get it to do anything because I don't have the Administator name or password. when I returned to the people to get the passwords, they said they didn't know them , the person who used this comp. had recently passed away. what can I do to get it to work?

Advertisements

morganlassiter

morganlassiter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HI, just bought a HP with windows XP at a garage sale for my son. I can't get it work because I don't know the administrator name or password. when I returned to the place of purchase, I was informed the user of this comp. had recently passed away. How can I get it to work?

Luke1988

Luke1988

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
as far as i know we cant tell you on here how to remove the windows user password because then anyone looking at this site can learn how to get on any computer. you would have to take it to an IT specialst.

**Luke**

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Since it is an old computer, with information on it you probably don't need, I would just reinstall the operating system. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot the computer in safe mode. In the login screen use the Administrator account to log in. When logged, open Control Panel > User Accounts. Open the protected account and remove the password.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I'm afraid there's no legal way past it. We don't provide hacking advise on GeeksToGo. You can format the computer and install a fresh version of XP.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I am merging these two identical posts, and Closing the Topic. (Doug)

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we a G2G do not assist in what amounts to hacking past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

Best Regards