Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Facebook vs Myspace

• Please log in to reply

Luke1988

Luke1988

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
i was thinking this morning, whilst suffering from a mild hangover, i wonder how much money facebook actually makes. being a web development student im naturally interested in things like this so i had a quick look on the old tinternet.

as it turns out facebooks finances were leaked by employees who couldnt keep quiet. it was reported that in 2007 revenues were $150 million and the projected revenues for 2008 were said to double to $300 - $350 million. In October 2007, Microsoft bought a 1.6 per cent stake in Facebook for $240 million, valuing the site at $15 billion.

so my question is what do people prefer, myspace or facebook. have you, like me and many others, moved from myspace to facebook, stayed with myspace or even moved from facebook to myspace.

myspace is still a lot more dominant in the social networking market claiming 69% of the visitor share compared to facebooks 31% (Nov 07). but how long for? obviously facebooks impressive growth can not last for ever, but will it be bigger than myspace before a new, better site is released?

what do you think? ...

Advertisements

Coduez

Coduez

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i prefer myspace and ive heard everyone who has both say they like myspace better.

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I use myspace because that's what everyone I know uses.
I've never even browsed through facebook, 'cause nobody I know uses it.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Neither. Not a fan of these websites.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The scourge of the internet, for sure. I make fun of people who ask me if I have a myspace page.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I like the privacy options on facebook. I just a couple days ago took down my myspace and solely use facebook now. Sure you cant add themes and all the junk to your page but I like facebook better.

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

The scourge of the internet, for sure. I make fun of people who ask me if I have a myspace page.

LOL. I uesd to also.
But I couldn't beat 'um, so I finally joined them. Kind of fun.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

LOL. I uesd to also.
But I couldn't beat 'um, so I finally joined them. Kind of fun.

Never.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I don't get it. I really don't. Why would you want to show yourself on the internet for all to see? It's not my kind of fun.

Luke1988

Luke1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
lol i see your point, but the only reason i use it is to keep in touch with friends back at home when im at uni. its your choice if u want to show your self for all to see and add everyone that sends you an invite...or you just add the people you actually know.

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I do not like MySpace at all but I have a page and use this as my layout.
<style type="text/css">
* {
display: none;
}
</style>

:) :) :)

Edited by keithr128, 31 March 2008 - 01:26 PM.

metaphorical_blinders

metaphorical_blinders

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, I use both but I'm done with being hooked up to either of them..
Funny, i recall logging on to the net just to open my facebook and poke my friends.. now im thinking im so crazzzyy back then :)

Edited by metaphorical_blinders, 11 June 2008 - 05:54 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
both myspace and facebook (and anything even remotely similar) are the devil....they all suck the life out of people...i know people who work together...they stand 3 feet from each other ALL DAY LONG....and never say a word...when they go home they spend 6 hours or more talking about things on their myspace accounts that they could have actually said to each other while they were at work..

my favorite one is when someone asks if i've got myspace "hey you got myspace" nope...i've got myfoot "<long pause while they try to figure out how far behind the times they've gotten> what's myfoot?" it's a great new method of communication it involves myfoot connecting with yourface....wanna test it out?

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

my favorite one is when someone asks if i've got myspace "hey you got myspace" nope...i've got myfoot "<long pause while they try to figure out how far behind the times they've gotten> what's myfoot?" it's a great new method of communication it involves myfoot connecting with yourface....wanna test it out?

:) :)

Nearly fell of my chair there :)

OT:

Never used that sort of web-sites, and never will, period.
If I said my honest meaning of those pages, I'll probably
soon would get a "gentle" PM reminder of breaking some kind
of rule from the TOU :)

(Or learn exactly what myfoot is :) )

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
I don't think these sites are safe, yah, they may tell you that they protect your privacy, but who knows what really happens behind our backs? Nah, never gonna use these sites.