Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AHCI on Vista after install

• Please log in to reply

matthew.

matthew.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I am trying to change to AHCI through the BIOS setting as due to various issue with Windows over the past few days I had to reinstall, cleverly I decided not to install while running AHCI so Vista has rightly disabled the driver.

I have followed the Microsoft article on enabling the driver here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 which seems to have worked for most however for me it hasn't. I change the value to 0, restart, enter bios and change to AHCI and reboot which gives me the BSOD just as it did without enabling the driver.

Anyone got any advice?

Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pretty much all configurations will fall over if you install as IDE/Legacy mode on the SATA ports and then change them to AHCI. This is more common under Windows XP but also seen under Vista. A lot depends on the hardware you're using. What sort of hardware are you running?

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
From what I have been reading thus far, it looks like you may have to install the latest drivers before changing the settings in the BIOS, otherwise you may get the BSOD with a 0x7B error. My next question would be have you tried to load the driver before the OS starts, through some kind of removable media, as this could also be the culprit?

In reference to the article from MS, I believe it's oly applicable if a SATA HDD has been running in IDE mode since Vista's installation.

matthew.

matthew.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

From what I have been reading thus far, it looks like you may have to install the latest drivers before changing the settings in the BIOS, otherwise you may get the BSOD with a 0x7B error. My next question would be have you tried to load the driver before the OS starts, through some kind of removable media, as this could also be the culprit?

In reference to the article from MS, I believe it's oly applicable if a SATA HDD has been running in IDE mode since Vista's installation.

It has been running in IDE since the install :)

I am on a Dell Vostro 1400 if that helps with the hardware at all. Core 2 Duo, 2gb memory, Intel X3100. As for the drivers, I did initially think that however the ones Dell supply I'm not too sure how to deal with (they can be found here: http://support.dell....mp;file=205611) and the solution intel provides exit during setup stating I don't have the right requirements to continue.

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
You could try updating the BIOS, and that information does definitely help. If a BIOS update works (and be careful with the directions as this can potentially royally mess up your laptop), then try downloading the latest chipset drivers from dell, and installing them before changing any of the settings in the BIOS. If you aren't comfortable with messing with a BIOS flash (and I certainly wouldn't blame you), then try installing the latest chipset drivers anyway, and changing the settings in Windows before messing with the BIOS settings. As for the intel drivers, I know Dell laptops can be a little touchy with drivers that are not from Dell direct, I know Intel drivers for my Inspiron 8600 are something else to try and get to work, so don't let that get you down. :)

As for IDE mode, I'm not 100% sure about how to go about messing with that if the MS article didn't work, let me do a little more looking into it, and I will try and come up with a solution.